Dual subwoofer setup - Opposite corners OR front wall in-between FL & FR speakers?

Thank you :smiling_face:

Based on this, my gut feel is Front Left corner, and back Right corner.

Totally gut feel, i would rank the corners by the following from best to worse.
Front left
Back Left
Back Right
Front Right.

If you eventually get a 3rd matching Rel sub, i would go Front left, Front Right, and rear Left corners. Again gut feel … haha.

Will you have 4 independant sub outputs for delay and eq? And measurement capability to optimise?

Actually, the construction of the wall makes a difference to the corner loading response. What are the green and purple area walls. Are they at least brick / concrete, or stud and drywall construction?

If stud / drywall construction, please ask contractor to stuff with rockwool. Even 1 layer, 5cm thick wall, will be better stuffed than not stuffed.

Strangely, I too prefer front left corner & rear right corner :smile:, that’s my first choice. Will experiment 1/4 & 3/4 on the front wall too, see which one gives even bass across the seats, the front 1/4 & 3/4 will definitely be much easier to set-up, integrate & dial-in i believe.

I am not planning to get more than 2 subs, 2 is the max, highly likely will get the Onkyo RZ70, so will have dual independent subwoofer.

1 Like

The green is concrete wall, the purple will be drywall stuffed with acoustic insulation.

1 Like

Understand, is the idea that maximum 2 subs due to the AVR dual sub output limitation?

For dual front subs in front corners or front 1/4 and 3/4 placement, these can be combined into one output for delay and EQ, due to the symmetrical distance to MLP.

So with 2 independant sub outputs, you can do dual front subs, and one back corner left or right, depending which gives the best response.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Dual sub limitation is more due to WAF :smile:.

By the way any particular acoustic insulation available in our local SG market? Or is Rockwool Asia the standard option?

i dunno if you have seen my thread on the front wall SBA (single bass array), but with grills it can potentially yield the best WAF and best in room response…

Will check your thread out, it’s “Gavin’s build” right?

This one.

1 Like

Oh interesting, just read the whole thread. Something to consider for my build. Thanks a ton.

You can use thick curtain as divider (place it at open arch there)… open/close so easy.
Can consider stacking it… if room small… but bigger room, 4 corners

Various brands of rockwool. If you are in midst of renovation, it is easier to get the contractor to order for you. For stuffing small walls like this can use 80-100kg/m3 density.

If you have any drop plaster ceiling, it is important to stuff with rockwool as well. Doesn’t need to be very dense or heavy, it just helps to damp any vibration. Usually the vibration and debris in the ceiling is what causes the rattles.

1 Like

4 corners is out of the equation for me, 1) Left rear corner has a door leading to MBR, so no go for Subwoofer there. 2) I think 4 subwoofers on the floor won’t pass WAF :sob:

I will probably start with two physical subs on the floor, will experiment front 1/4 & 3/4 wall VS diagonal corner (front left and rear right). Maybe might push for 3 subs down the road if WAF warms up to HT setup after few months of using it.

Yes, I am in the planning stages of reno, discussing with IDs/contractors now.

I do have drop ceiling and was thinking about acoustic ceiling solutions, they cost a bomb by the way. Will highly likely go with normal plaster ceiling with rockwool stuffing, that seems to be the most economical option. Came across this TIMBERIX ceiling solution and contacted local dealer (aralad), they quoted me $S16K for microperforated TIMBERIX panel supply & install with 60Kg/m3 rockwool solution for my 5.1m X 4.8m ceiling.

There’s a new material - combination polyester felt with wooden slats.

Looks very simple but it is actually very innovative. I haven’t been able to find a source anywhere…

It really transforms a bare looking space…

Installation in progress

Boom!

You could use this as a finishing over rockwool, to increase the lower end absorption over just the thin felt.

2 Likes

Wallhub Singapore has them, I have them as an option.

1 Like

Have you confirmed on the 2x rel HT1003?

Thinking about it, the subs likely the first limiting factor in terms of output for the space.

Or course this is totally subjective. But worth a thought and perhaps move up to a pair of 1205.

Hmmm something to ponder indeed. The 1205 MkII aren’t that much bigger either, will consider when the time comes. :grimacing: