Dolby atmos quietly phased out by Singapore cinemas?

Hello Fellow HT enthusiasts,

I recently thought of bringing kids to the cinemas for some movies, it being school holidays and all that.

To my shock, GV Max at VIVO is not showing any movies in atmos anymore. Even black panther is playing in the GV Max hall, but is not in Atmos.

Cathay JEM supposedly opened a new Atmos hall in early 2020… Now also cannot find any mention of atmos anywhere…

Any idea what is going on? Seriously quite disappointing…

Frankly, I don’t really miss the Atmos playing in the cinema…I can’t really recall which movie I watched with Dolby Atmos but I knew it was at Vivocity GV Max, imagine I drove all the way from my place in Yishun to Vivocity just to experience the Atmos, only to be utterly disappointed. I know how a good Atmos mi can have that “wow” factor…but sadly it is poorly executed in local cinema.

YMMV but that’s my first and last experience.

I have yet to experience a dolby atmos movie in sg cinema… :roll_eyes:

Did u try plq imax theatre for atmos bro? For GV, i think currently only gvmax atmos theatres have atmos (think one of them is vivo) . If they indicate gvmax but dont have the word “atmos” , it is likely not.

When u buy the movie tickets, need to first check if the particular theatre supports atmos. I rem last time they used to indicate it b4 covid.

But i do find that atmos theatres are harder to find/ they dont indicate clearly sometimes …

But u are not missing much la… The cinema atmos effects are not that great. Dont think they calibrate it optimally

I can attest to that.

Yup, they are showing Black Panther at VivoCity GVMax but NOT in atmos…

Yes, PLQ imax has fantastic front stage sound. But the surround field and ceiling speaker sound is more of a ‘wall of sound’ than discrete, detailed objects panning.

I wonder if that is just a feature of cinema sound master vs home master. Cinema master need to be optimized for a very larger seating space and they cannot employ too many small, precise audio objects panning in the sound field…
Or it could be a limitation of imax 12 channel based audio compared to dolby atmos 30+ or 60+ discrete channels and object based… Likely both…
But guess I will never find out…

Shikes…

Just checked out of curiosity, the vivo GV max w Atmos is currently showing Infernal affairs in atmos

1 Like

Serious… This movie likely not much atmos scenes lolol. They shld show action movies using the theatre

Wow they are doing a 3 day movie marathon for the infernal affairs series in 4K Atmos! No publicity no marketing!..
Next Monday thru Weds.

Likely it is not calibrated to the optimize level , they might have set at neutral so dont have to do every single movie screening . Just like the video calibration settings .