Barco LED wall display

Day in BARCO Singapore to view the LED tiles / Wall .

Ideal for Hi End homes set up , with adjustable option on Nits and colour tempreture . On service side front replacement swap . Installation does not require alot of depth and easy mechanical install.

Comes in HD or 4k and different optional size .

Thanks to Singapore team for giving me the run down of the product .

3 Likes

Barco is a prestigious name that sell high end display. I wonder how much it will cost to setup a 150" 16:9 panel

i remember experiencing Samsung The Wall 150in screen at Millenia walk. We weren’t even watching it, just standing around chatting with the angmo boss who is very friendly and passionate about HT.

The whole time, you could feel the heat radiating from the screen on your face… and after maybe 30mins chatting in the room, not even looking directly at the screen all the time, only realized after i left the place that i have a dull headache from the eye strain…

Not to mention acoustic consideration of a bare flat 150in surface in the front of the room, and placement of the center speaker to do such a screen size justice?

Challenging considerations all round…

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Seems like it is not ready for home use. With that kind of heat generated, unless you are in a fully air-conditioned room, it will become a sauna.

I have never look into LED for my client home install projects as back than LEDs has either too big pitch , cannot handle good colour to difficult to mount or service reliability and heat .

All the newer technologies on LEDs example the pitch size , colour , brightness adjustment , electronics and mechanical fixeture has improved .

There so many installs un shopping malls and eating food court has LEDs and all install in low level where children are able to touched them . ( Ion have it on pillars and side of walk ways / Greatworld city food court has it on pillar to top of wall and back to other pillar )

Heat issue and safety is now no longer a problem . ( public space )

Now , is how good can the panels be in resolutions and colour gamut handling . After sales service and how many years of warranty .

2 Likes

Yes, i noticed these displays on pillars at changi airport too. The tech is slowly but surely improving, mitigating the heat issues, improving the colour etc.

But somehow for dedicated HT, the acoustics and center speaker challenge is still a tough nut to crack. Part of that is personal… to me front wall acoustics and center speaker are kind of non negotiables…

Procella has already designed a whole series of models to use with these large screens. They are meant to be above the screen angled downwards.

https://procella.audio/product-category/above-screen/?display=grid

1 Like

It is always the same issue , as of those front projection with standard fixed screen or motorize and those UST type will face the same center speaker positioning .
The only way will be those Acoustic Transparent screen with projector on Fixed type or Motorize tap tension .

I guess for now most it install in the main hall .
Now with those ART in digital form can always display on the LED wall so it does not have a blank black wall .

Worth noting that there is a new solution for the LCR speakers with mini LED displays.

It’s the new Director speaker system from Ascendo.

https://www.aia-cinema.com/products/speakers/the-director-pro-active-ext.html

It is installed in matching pairs, one above and below the screen, to create a vertical ‘phantom center’ sound source in the middle of the screen.

It is installed in the german showroom with the 80in subwoofer.

The great thing about this concept is one can easily replicate this with a pair of KEF LS50, one above and below the screen. Coaxials are perfect for this function as they have good horizontal dispersion (important for center channel coverage for room) and at the same time good vertical dispersion (needed to form the phantom center image on the middle of screen).

This is also similar concept with yamaha and sony ‘dialogue lift’ function which combines the center channel below screen and the front heights speakers to form the phantom image onto the screen.

Also saw this shorts from Vincent.

65 x 4 diagonally = 260inch
this means 16panel modular assembly in 4 x 4 formation…

The latest Sony receivers(not all model, definetly not the ‘1000’) has a double centre speaker set-up option, so basically we can put a Centre speaker below and another one above the screen, the Sony processing will do it’s magic and create a phantom centre from the actual centre of the screen.

I know this can be done in pretty much all the receivers with some clever wiring & external amp, but Sony is probably one of few consumer level receiver manufacturer do have catered for it with their own processing.

1 Like

What’s the difference between phantom center using LR and this dual C? I’m currently using LR for phantom center because I find it sounds abit detached from TV when using center channel even though the speaker is just under the tv and almost ear level. I might wanna try this dual C configuration but what kind of setting n calibration are needed

1 Like

It is generally not recommended to use two center channel speakers, will run into comb filtering issues & distortion, but how people do it is basically they connect two Center Speakers to one center channel binding post on their receiver, ofcourse you have to take note of impedence issues, there is parallel/series/parallel-series ways to do it.

What Sony has done in their new receivers is they have option for you to use two indvidual channels for two Center Speaker set-up, when you chose this setup configuration in their set-up process…their processing will do the trick and on paper should remove any comb filtering, distortion issues and give you the center channel sound from the centre of the screen.

Sony’s processing especially in spatial mapping and what not is getting rave reviews. Their 5000ES and 7000ES receivers look very promising.

1 Like

I haven’t actually tried a dual center setup, so all my input is purely theoretical. Pls ‘salt’ accordingly to taste… :laughing:

The difference between a dual center phantom, and using phantom center with LR mains, is with the physical location of the center. What we are talking about is having a pair of speakers for center, one above, and one below the TV, for the phantom center image to be vertically centered on the screen.

The reason for above / below screen placement is so that the center is anchored on the TV midline, for viewers who are sitting off center from the TV.
This is the main difference from a phantom center setup redirected to the LR mains speaker. Depending on the width of the mains, the directivity / dispersion of the speaker, the off center viewers will likely perceive the center channel dialogue etc coming from the closer LR Mains speaker, rather than from the middle of the TV centerline.

Theoratically, one can setup the dual top/bottom center by using the center pre out, Y splitter RCA input to both channels of a stereo power amp. Connect each of the (ideally identical, ideally coaxial) center speaker to one channel of the stereo amp. Place one above and one below the TV, and done.

The various models of the KEF HTS3001 speakers seem ideal for this experiment. Best if can find a pair of the center models, they have dual PR for bit more low mid upper bass fullness.

Edit : i’m not so worried about comb filtering. Effectively this dual center is like playing back old Mono content on a stereo speaker setup… right? haha

I’m using the KEF 3001 and had bought an additional center speaker, thinking to change the LR speakers with the center speakers for fuller sound… and since this topic came up I thought I can try the dual center setup

You can try, it will be a good experiment. At best, you enjoy it, at worst you remove one of the two center speaker and go with the traditional 1 speaker way either top or bottom of your display.

1 Like

But don’t you think the problem is when you don’t use a center channel and instead use the Right & Left fronts to create a phantom center your processor/receiver is aware of it and it caters to that speaker layout, right? The processor does create that phantom center image, right?
When we do dual center speaker on a single channel and calibrate it as one center speaker during set-up the processor doesn’t take the dual speaker arrangement into account. I guess that is the difference why a phantom Center speaker using FR & FL works better than dual center speakers on a single channel. But i guess it’s worth doing a comparison with single center speaker and dual.

A closer lookat the micro LED panels.

2 Likes