All Acoustics related

SMT:S new WM (Wave Motion) modules are planned to be marketed in January 2021 !
Std lenght 1200 and 600mm Width between 150-600mm
Some highlight options :
Absorbtion between 50-300 Hz
Using translucend acrylic makes it possible to illuminate the modules from the inside
A varity of acrylic designs
Fireproof version for example auditoriums and concert halls

Here is one fantastic video from Dennis foley

Check out the door at time stamp 5:50secs

Those diffusors at the back wall, they make the room larger ! And correctly mentioned, use wood for diffusion, do not use any cardboard or any other forms of material. They cannot beat the quality of using wood as diffusors

I always encourage the guys to go with diffusion for late reflections and use absorption on first reflection points. This worked wonderfully

Here is a brief note below by acoustic fields , also why noise control is so important

Hi-Fi Highway

One day the realization happens. It’s a realization that should have happened before one even got into the car and started driving down the hi-fi highway. It’s the realization that you must have a room that will allow you to hear what your system is capable of producing. By building your own listening room, you have realized that you no longer need to spend money chasing a small increase in resolution or dynamics with new speakers and amplifiers and placing that gear in a room that may or may not let you hear that extra 10 K you just spent for a new amplifier or speaker. You have realized that spending more money on gear without a proper listening room is not the way to go. It never has been. It never will be.

Noise Management

Your first realization is that you must manage all noise issues from outside. Noise transmission from outside sources into your listening room will have a large impact on the presentation value of your system. Lowering the noise floor allows every nuance of your gear to be heard. It allows for the smallest design tweaks by the amplifier or speaker designer to be heard and appreciated. A low noise floor allows for the separation of notes and the space between those notes to be heard and felt. It is the darkness between those notes without any noise to get in the way. Noise is also a two-way valve where you must contain the noise within the room so it is not transmitting to other rooms or neighbors. Containing all full range noise from your speakers will benefit all issues that will result from not properly managing low, middle, and high-frequency energy.

We have three areas of energy that we must manage. We have low-frequency energy which is below 100 Hz. We have middle and high-frequency energy that makes up the rest of the sonic spectrum. All three energy types have different treatment requirements. We must focus on low-frequency energy first and foremost. Without proper low-frequency management, your room will never have the chance to exhibit all of the gear’s potential. Remember for every fundamental below 100 Hz. there is a corresponding harmonic above 100 Hz. that represents the middle and high-frequency energy within our room. The best way to treat low-frequency issues is within the walls themselves. You can manage the necessary rates/levels between the studs and absorb energy every 14 1/2″. That is a level of carbon absorbing wall

Two Dimensional Diffusion

Low-frequency energy management is all about sound pressure. Middle and high frequencies are all about air movement or as we say molecular velocity. Mid and high-frequency energy must be treated with technology that realizes the importance of airflow across its surface and only absorbs at the proper rates and levels required for music and voice. Music and voice are different than noise. Our goal with music and voice is to absorb just enough energy without over absorbing and creating a lifeless and dead presentation. Once mid and high-frequency energy is absorbed, it is converted to heat and lost forever. With the cost of today’s amplifiers and speakers, the last thing we want to do is to destroy energy in order to manage it.

Quadratic diffusion is a technology that can make a small room sound much larger. It can also make an already large room sound even larger. It accomplishes this magnificent feat by minimizing the impact of reflections on each wall surface area. Our quadratic diffusion technology was placed upon the front and rear walls of this two channel listening room project. One dimensional diffusion on the front wall creates a wide horizontal sound field in front of the listener that makes for a wider soundstage with more definition and resolution. Two-dimensional diffusion was placed on the rear wall to minimize the audible impact of the reflections from the rear wall to the listening position. Only real wood was used for all diffusion systems. Only real wood will produce the real tone and timbre qualities that we must have in order

Enjoy the video

1 Like

One of Hollywoods most sought after mixing engineers, Brad Haehnel (Life of Pi, Ice Age, The Lego Movie), currently mixes scores for HBO, Sony & Disney using the designs from Acoustic Fields’ modular diaphragmatic absorbers and two-dimensional diffuser units. Watch Brad’s video here, maybe you can learn a thing or two from the video, enjoy !

1 Like

We will be “enhancing” our set up further, by the additions of a BAD scatter plate ply in front of the acoustic absorption rockwool panel, taking the hybrid approach for best of both worlds, Low-mid-upper frequencies

Hybrid like this

This piece of scatter plate will not only diffuse mid high frequency, but acts as a pressure membrane for bass absorption down to 125hz or so…

A prototype looks like this below

Price is fantastic since we are doing it in bulk. I’ll share more details on MO soon.

Not sure where is the MO section here for discourse

It has been a while to develop the BAD scatter plate. Look like it is coming to fruition soon.

Ya we didn’t want to rush him. But pricing is fantastic. Hard to pass. Will get in more details

So far choices for wood as follows

Falcata

Hardwood

But wil need to test first. Will be getting in some samples this weekend, will feedback soon

Ok so to break it down further, softwood will be preferred over hard wood to function as acoustic diffusors

Pine, cedar, rosewood , spruce , cherrywood, alder or maybe even MDF will be preferred if picking a choice of wood material to work as diffusors

In general, softwood is cheaper and they are more suitable for sound as it works better in the midrange frequencies and since the scatter plates function as a diffusors, there is no doubt softwood will be preferred

Softwood will resonate more to mid-low frequencies, whereas hardwood to low frequencies

In the above scenario, the falcata would be a better candidate

A warm tone in midrange frequencies are always welcomed

A quick reference

Alder is used commonly because of its light weight, most commonly in Stratocasters and electric guitars. Has an excellent clean tone. It is commonly a tan colour without many distinctive grain lines. Not a good choice for clear finishes, which is why they’re so often lacquered.

Cedar has been popular for years with classical guitarists. It responds very well to the low tension and energy of the Nylon strings to create a really warm, ‘earthy’ tone. Sometimes also seen on Steel Strung Guitars.

Rosewood is one of the heaviest woods available. Bodies made out of rosewood will be heavier than any other wood. The sound is very warm, although the high end sounds are dampened. Finishes can be a little difficult to apply. Usually reserved for fretboards only.

MDF has got more of an absorption property

Pine It’s very light weight and resonant with more mids and rounder tones in the highs.

Spruce is very soft to the touch, it is extremely stiff for it’s overall density. Like Alder, it’s another wood with a hard skeleton and soft meat. So in a solid body, it will produce tremendous resonant, open midrange, while retaining high frequency attack, and having good low end breath. Very popular across the range of guitars, particularly Sitka Spruce .

**falcata plywood” no idea ! It’s a type of plywood. Plywood’s are manufactured woods, so it’s hard to know how it’s going to sound. But it’s more to being softwood

Although the choice for wood makes a difference, the ultimate most important factor is the mathematical sequence in which the holes are being drilled into the BAD panels and its backing and of course its placement

More to share along the way as we implement them

I didn’t realise my SMT wings Diffusors behind MLP is now being taken advantage of as “ free parking for files and books” for the kids

Wahhh anyhow park, later I need to Saman !

:man_facepalming:

Extra wing for acoustics :grin:

1 Like

Here is one good video from Grimani on acoustics

1hr plus long but everything makes sense

Good stuff

There are also 2 other videos on absorption and diffusion.

1 Like

Just received the samples in last night

The top one is walnut veneer. The bottom is falcata. Colour looks identical to WISA birch ply I had previously

the ones at the top the veneer can be customized to fit the aesthetics of the place

the bottom one is used more for wrapping on the internal of panels under the fabric.

the wood veneer ones will all be oiled with teak oil so it will be slightly darker once done.

Sample size is 595x595x5mm The thickness here is fixed, we can’t get the desired 6mm that we want, as the 90w laser is not able to cut through that type of thickness

Personally, I wouldn’t want anything to be dipped in teak oil or varnish or paint. I prefer the original wood sound . In testing the two, the walnut wood has a Dub dub dub signature to it, whilst the falcata has a Tokkkk Tokkkk Tokkkk type of signature

The original sounded best to me

YMMV

The pricing for the falcata version ply is $35/ piece 4mm thickness and the veneer wood is $40. It’s a very good price indeed . I got mine back then for $65/piece ply only. Shipped from China

That’s the benefit when buying it from someone doing it locally, we eliminate gst and freight charges and forex , and we support local economy . Best

Both myself and NGSK will be testing this first. (In the process of cutting out the pieces now) I’ll share along the way how we gonna do it and place it

Also a perfect opportunity to head down to NGSK place to check out the new divini reference 18.

Very good price indeed.

Testing in progress

Falcata behind MLP

Walnut wood behind MLP

Wow, so much difference behind MLP. Instantly I can tell the quality. Gosh still hearing things not heard before ! Unbelievable, 1 piece only. The bass so much tighter at MLP location

Honestly between the two wood material, I can’t tell any difference. They both sound very good, walnut and falcata .

But once I remove that piece, it is less defined.

I was actually listening to one of the Chinese song 我是一只小小鸟 from Richie Ren, the guitar strings were superb. And it was the first time I can hear clearly during one of the time stamp, the other singer singing along. Very good separation

The extension and decay is very good !

Behind MLP most significant :muscle:t2::muscle:t2:

Come to think of it, it is just one piece comparing. I’d like to think that if multiple pieces come together to cover more surface area, I think the sound will be different with different choice of wood… there should be some type of different signature to it.

At this stage with just 1 piece, it’s really hard to tell if there is any difference. But placing that 1 piece behind MLP, it made a big difference

The power of acoustics to improve the room ! :muscle:t2::muscle:t2:, almost as if it’s some new high end speakers playing

1 Like

In the mean time, we also observe this at Ang Mo Kio mall travelator

Also at plaza Singapura

Seems like lotsa acoustic companies in Singapore likes this type of designs

My order for a couple of pieces has been confirmed. Some of it will go behind the AT screen

The benefits of it being tucked behind the AT screen is the mains, centre speaker and the Atmos front heights gonna benefit hugely with their first reflection points and acoustic imaging

The set up is actually already very good with the existing arrangements , as you can see from the Schroeder integral where we can see the regression line tracks nicely within the desired RT60 times from the TOPT measurements

Perfect !

If we dive in deeper into the TOPT times at 8khz, we see a nice tracking in decay and liveliness in the set up at my place, from the monitor audio gx speakers

This is excellent for speech clarity and intelligibility

Those who have demoed the age of adaline clip at my place would have an idea of how clear the centre channel is with bass imaging of the male narrator’s vocals…

Many people asked me, what speakers would u upgrade to? Why haven’t u upgraded ? I see and hear and find absolutely no reason to upgrade the speakers, the ribbons sound fantastic to me, fast transients, accurate and very pleasing. Non fatigue for me

I would at some point in time, probably upgrade to line source AMT/ribbon tweeters… some day maybe two years down the road…

So might actually have line source ribbons tucked behind AT screen

Anyway, back to the above, at the current .
0.221ms TOPT times, it’s slightly tight sounding, with the addition of the BAD panels, I’m looking forward to a slightly more lively room with TOPT tracking at 0.25-0.27ms… this is my target, perfect and what I’m after now

Last night tested with 2 pieces behind MLP

There is some gap behind where the panels are placed to the back wall. Though near to the seat, it didn’t matter, the improvement was significant

Gosh still hearing so much details never heard before

Never knew this song had so much details, the left right left right energy from the first 40 seconds music is amazing as it increases in energy levels, the physchoacoustic effect is superb . At time stamp 2:07, drum beats are extending up to ceiling height. Something I’ve never experienced before

Bass continue to be very bouncy bouncy like, extension is very good. much to my liking and very pleasant to the extend I can’t stop listening till 2am, no fatigue at all. (Good I’m on leave today)

On guitar strings, the tinggggggg , the ggggggg extended longer, and then the second tinggg happens and the first ggggggg is still there, like a second layer separated, creating like a 3d type of sound stage. Not really echo… but a sense of spaciousness is felt

One problem immediately surfaced

The energy is much more dominant on the right with the curtains, whilst the blue, there is a wider space extending far left. Maybe I should not pull the curtains and use the balcony… not sure will try

Another option suggested by someone else is to have a separate layer of curtain like this

But nah… won’t go there… lol

Conclusion, behind MLP diffusion !! :muscle:t2::muscle:t2::muscle:t2: No horse run this one… Kao lat :skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like