4K/8K Projector Discussion

Ya, looking forward to checking this out…

But TVs are so expensive in Singapore ! See this

TCL 85” 8k HDR usd1,599!! Lol , that’s 85”!

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/new-tcl-tvs-announced-ces-2021.3179442/?fbclid=IwAR3_4gUwhc6qeir0L69_P8uIjBq5sUllcRvP22zDhzdaujdWiCheRXoiNLQ

But I have no experience with tcl TVs, so not sure of the quality

I believe many will have second thoughts of installing projectors once 100" TVs are available at that price point. :thinking:

One might not be able to bring in a 100" TV through our apartment lifts, thus probably projector and screen is still the most viable option for those.:grin::grin:

Still a long way to go I suppose, at least in Singapore. I don’t know why the OLED TVs are still so expensive here . In the USA it’s like way cheaper

I suppose that’s how it is in little red dot

pay and pay…what to do :man_shrugging:

You guys heard of this ? Some comments from users online

Quote:

Only had it up and installed for a day thus far and loving the picture it throws. JVC RS3000 / NX9 paired with the PANAMORPH PALADIN DCR Lens is truly magic :relaxed::ok_hand::nazar_amulet:

Unquote

Of course we have heard of this. This is the top of the line N series JVC native 4K projector. Pairing it with a panamorph paladin anamorphic Len assembly is a killer combo. It’s a fitting match for JVC projector. But do take note, the projector itself already cost a limb and dun even make me start with the anamorphic Len which could easily get you another mid to high tier 4K projector. The quote from the user definitely rings true on the amazing PQ.

PS: if you get this combo, you will know the inherent weakness of your current projector and I can guarantee you that you will be amazed at how great the 4K HDR image can be, especially on your big screen.

1 Like

I see, is the lumagen radiance pairing JVC a better option?

I see , so it’s an accessory, an anamorphic lens to preserve contrast , brightness and image quality and works best for larger screens

That means I will benefit with this on the 135” screen set up

Quote:

The primary advantage of adding an anamorphic lens is that it redirects the projector’s entire light output into the 2.35:1 active image, no longer spilling over the screen or wasting pixels on the letterbox bars. While the gain in pixels may not be especially relevant anymore (4k projectors already have more than enough resolution that pixel fill shouldn’t be a great concern), the lens does provide a brighter image, which can be very beneficial for HDR video, especially on large screen sizes.

Unquote:

Some unboxing video from YouTube

Also understand that good quality lens makes a difference, hence the price tag

Also understand that there are version that works best for pixel shift type of projector vs Native 4k type of projectors

Desray, are u using any of these anamorphic lenses at the moment?

When I looked at it a long time ago, I concluded that it would only be worth it if you have a 2.39:1 screen the width of the room with zero spillover and perhaps something like a Stewart Vistascope screen. While expensive, the Panamorph lenses are a good long-term investment as they are not a technology (like the projector) which will become obsolete in a few years

Stewart Vistascope

1 Like

A much cheaper option to Vistascope if your projector can autofocus, is to have 2.39:1 fixed screen and a 1.8:1 electric screen in front of it.

Both are different device and play a different role. For an anamorphic Len, it’s more of preserving the precious lumens to ensure a more consistent output whereas you can think of Lumagen radiance as an optional DTM from an external VP scaler. Remember JVC already has its own proprietary DTM styled, “FrameAdapt HDR”. Which is better? It’s hard to tell. But if I already owned a JVC N series projector, I will just get my money on the Panamorph paladin DCR anamorphic len.

For Sony projector, I will say pairing with a Lumagen radiance pro is a better proposition compared to JVC. Sony so-called DTM for its latest 4K projector is not even anywhere near to what JVC offer.

1 Like

Thanks desray for the response, exactly the response I was looking for

Ok thanks, I’ll keep in view for my next native 4k PJ upgrade

I sold off mine already…since last year to an Indonesian Chinese.

+1 to bro Sam comments. Spot on.

Yes that is correct. Full on glass or hybrid lens is what makes the image pin sharp or less of a chromatic/geometry anomalies from appearing on your screen. This is why it is so expensive as there are more than a dozen lenses overlaying each other as the light beam goes through the layer and layer of lenses.

And yes, cheaper Anamorphic len will not have color correction which can cause color shift as a result the refraction from the prism. A more expensive one will be able to correct that. Still there will blind to have some geometry distortion on either side of the screen no matter how precise you make your Len adjustment to fit the projector Len. This is normal and is not a defect.

1 Like

At present, laser ultra-short focal projector is a trend, with the popularization and promotion of the concept of laser TV, there are a lot of ultra-short focal laser projector on the market, such as: VAVA, LG, Chonghong, Xiaomi, JVC, Xigmi, Samsung and so on.
However, a good projector screen is also very importance.
There are fixed Frame screen and motoried projector screen.
I saw there are many good review youtube video about Vividstorm projector screen.
It looks great.
Is there anyone who heard this brand before?

Thank you!

Am using a Vividstorm 100" tension drop-down screen for UST projection purchased from Elememt5. It replaced a standard white motorized screen which was overly bright and lighted up the whole living room. The new screen is dark grey colour. The ambient light rejecting properties is quite effective as picture sharpness and contrast is highly acceptable with ceiling light turned on.

Here is one from Epson

About 5k I think ??