*Official Thread* Zidoo Z9X, Z10 Pro, Z1000 Pro, UHD3000 & Neo S/Alpha

For Redbook CD, if I recall correctly, it only saved as .wav files at 16bit/44.1Hz.

You have to ask yourself what you really wanted? Is it for media player and its DAC on board or are you eyeing its ripping function? Let me warn you, regardless of Z9X or the high-end UHD3000 or even Neo X for that matter, it utilize the same Zidoo Music Player app when it comes to organizing your songs/albums and I have to say, it is at best mediocre.

Thanks for the note - it appears it’s still a long way from getting my All_in_ONE dream machine to simplify my setup… I wanted all functions of the ripper, DAC and MP (movies and music). This would allow me to dispose of the HTPC and DAC.

It is getting really challenging managing the power distribution for my setup - I’ve 2 power distributor blocks with 6 sockets each and 4 additional sockets from the wall and I’m still short!

Anyone compared the zidoo to the hifi rose 150?

Yes, unless you are building your home theater/hi fi room from the ground up, it will be challenging. I will try to limit the devices to 4.

1. Streaming device in the likes of Apple TV, NVidia Shield TV or Roku. Currently I’m using the latest Apple TV model with the improved remote controller.

2. Media player is a quick and easy way to stream your ripped movies from NAS. My NAS does not co-locate in the same room as my HT equipment. Zidoo and Zappiti media players are hugely popular in our local AV community. Using media player which act as both a jukebox file manager is much easier to compared to the use of HTPC. I’ve given up on HTPC a long long time ago because of the hassles of OS and driver updates and also forgetting inputs like keyboard and mouse which makes controlling and navigating unwieldy compared to a remote controller. I’m currently using Zidoo UHD-3000.

3. 4K UHD Universal Player. This is a must if we want to playback our fave physical media. I’m currently using Oppo 203 (Jailbroken) for SACD, DFF, DSF and BD ISO playback.

4. Gaming console is another must-have to make your home entertainment centre complete. I’m still using XBox Series X for the past 4 years and I do not see the need to upgrade anytime soon.

5. Separately I also have video scaler device like Radiance Pro which for me is a must-have as I’m more of a videophile.

For (1) to (4), I can see that these devices are more common for home enthusiast. Notice I didn’t mention external DAC for serious hi-fi listening. So if you were to add that, it will be 6 devices for me.

Each device has it unique strengths and weaknesses. To have an All-In-One device that does all of that, it will be like 3-in-1 instant coffee mix…It is edible at best but it will never replace a true device that focus chiefly on its primary function - e.g. media player’s strength is to decode both video and audio flags properly so that it can send it to the AVR/Amp to decode audio and video (untouched) to the display (Projector/TV) properly. Some of the flagship 4K UHD players are not able to do that unless it has jailbreak function.

I think I might be able to get away with max 2 devices;
Something like the Xbox Series X can perform #1 & #2 and maybe even #3 (I don’t do SACD, and those hi-res audio). Very little gaming as well - a good to have at this point.

I’m feeling a little regret for disposing my Bryston DAC,… we’ll see. If I can find a good physical media player/ripper with good quality DAC function, that can be the solution.

After 3 weeks of looking at this,… the above is starting to become the apparent route (for my requirements),… 2 devices to do all that.

New Beta firmware v6.3.30 out

Changelogs:
since v6.3.26

System

1. Optimized the occasional lag problem of SMB small files playback.
    Music Player
  2. Optimized the playback stability.
  3. Optimized the film details interface.
  4. Fixed the problem that no data is displayed when UPNP enters the list.
  5. Added a option that artist will not show when the own tracks is less than this number
  6. Fixed the problem that the loop playback function does not take effect.
  7. Optimized music playback through the File Manager UPNP.
  8. Optimized the display of lyrics.
  9. Fixed the problem that the state is not saved when switching to list view mode.
  10. Fixed the problem that the interface has no focus after re-matching data in the artist details interface.
  11. Fixed the problem that the interface displays abnormally when the song details in album is empty.
  12. Optimized the lyrics matching function.
  13. Optimized partial translation.
  14. Optimized the singer information and profile information.
    Poster Wall
  15. Poster add 3D corner icon.
    File Manager
  16. Optimized interface partially.
  17. Added manual network path for adding device in SMB.
  18. Fixed the problem that no data is displayed when UPNP enters the list.
  19. Added the function of formatting external storage devices.
  20. Optimized UPNP playback function.
  21. Optimized the UPNP list function and the list is gotten by page.
    Player
  22. Fixed the problem that some default subtitle language does not take effect.
  23. Optimized interface partially.
  24. Optimized the subtitle download function when playing through the poster wall.
  25. Fixed the problem that some videos cannot be played.
    since v6.3.22
    system
  26. Optimized occasional green flash while playing some DV MKVs
  27. Fixed the problem of incorrect frame rate of individual 59.94 movies
  28. Optimized NFS and SMB network playback.
  29. Added the function of defining info button
  30. Optimized file manager opens the list too slowly
    Poster Wall
  31. Optimized NFO parser
  32. Optimized Trailer parser
  33. Fixed occasional crash in the details interface
  34. Added the path display switch on the detail interface
  35. Optimized matching accuracy
  36. Support trailer folder
    7.Fixed while add a single movie to a category, the entire collection is incorrectly added to the category

Music player
1.Optimized rematch function
2.Support DSD CUE
3.Fixed can not return while enter an empty folder
4.Optimized playback stability

Z9X
v6.3.30
http://apidl.zidoo.tv/Z9X/v6.3.30/Z9X_P_v6.3.30_202108111200_ota-package.zip
MD5: 5274F3E1FF46361C3E7E49C98E843849
Z9X
v6.3.30_G(Google play)
http://apidl.zidoo.tv/Z9X/v6.3.30/Z9X_P_v6.3.30_G_202108111731_ota-package.zip
MD5: 75C28D1401422843B832735CD8E86576
Z10 PRO
v6.3.30
http://apidl.zidoo.tv/Z10_PRO/v6.3.30/Z10-Pro_P_v6.3.30_202108111754_ota-package.zip
MD5: 5F22B1E4E72073E9CC1EB6D52E515AD5
Z10 PRO
v6.3.30_G(Google play)
http://apidl.zidoo.tv/Z10_PRO/v6.3.30/Z10-Pro_P_v6.3.30_G_202108111813_ota-package.zip
MD5: 2E3A8C0AB234D3C233CCA38D9B3A2BC7
Z1000 Pro
v6.3.30
http://apidl.zidoo.tv/Z1000_PRO/v6.3.30/Z1000-Pro_P_v6.3.30_202108111846_ota-package.zip
MD5: EADBC56C02F8B4292DFCEFDBE4848472
Z1000 Pro
v6.3.30_G(Google play)
http://apidl.zidoo.tv/Z1000_PRO/v6.3.30/Z1000-Pro_P_v6.3.30_G_202108111859_ota-package.zip
MD5: 152BE563A91CEDD9716C04C7D210F012
UHD3000
v6.3.30
http://apidl.zidoo.tv/uhd3000/v6.3.30/UHD3000_P_v6.3.30_202108111921_ota-package.zip
MD5: 57A43DE2FB3E1FBE369A4CB7AFA6CC6A
UHD3000
v6.3.30_G(Google play)
http://apidl.zidoo.tv/uhd3000/v6.3.30/UHD3000_P_v6.3.30_G_202108111934_ota-package.zip
MD5: 093D92D0009C64739E02DE4D376CC1C4

Z9X Assessment

Poster Wall Interface

• Initial instability (playback/navigation crashes and revert to home screen); fixed after upgraded fw to 6.3.30 G
  • Scraping info metadata 85-90% accuracy
  • Navigation is not as intuitive (ie. vs Kodi) but is acceptable base on my usage pattern
  • Sorting works as expected (unlike Music Player)
  • Seeking and jumping chapter/scenes works better than HTPC(Kodi) as occasionally I get audio loss using Kodi
  • Switching audio tracks, subtitles works, not much to comment here

PQ

• DV processing for SDR & HDR are hits and misses
  • More details in dark scenes but overall feel lowered brightness and washed out (lack contrast)
  • Without DV, SDR and HDR output no noticeable advantage over HTPC/Kodi
  • While my projector is not properly calibrated, it feels is more difficult to color correct vs output from HTPC
  • Forcing HDR to SDR actually gives better results (to my eyes), visually more pop!
  • Doing the same (HDR>SDR) on ATV did not give similar results (while ATV performed better with LLDV vs Z9X)

SQ

• No much comment as I’m purely using passthru
  • There is slight delay before audio comes on, especially after pausing

Streaming Function

• Mobile platform version
  • Apple Music app does not work
  • No 4K; defeats the purpose of having a 4k capabilities!

Music Player

• Poor navigation control
  • Hard to search for specific album/song
  • Lyrics does not sync
  • Occasionally skips mid-playback
  • Music quality is acceptable (slightly less bite/punch)
  • Sort function broken
  • Hi-res audio NOT tested (my source are all 98% std CD flac rips)
  • Scraping leave much to be desired (many unrecognized/ no album art)
  • Slow control of USB drive (playback & skip track lagging)

Remote controller sensitivity is poor or seems to lag noticeably - sometimes have to press multiple times or point it directly at the device

CONCLUSIONS

As a multi-purpose device, this did not tick many of the boxes. I had expectactions that it at least rival the Nvidia or ATV or discounting the streaming capabilities, it perform better in the Music side. Then I can position it as a pure local source media player… I will continue to play around with it for a couple more days to see if some of the issues is something one can get acustomed to or it remains a nagging issue with the interface.

Pros

• Appliance like functionality with remote
  • Decodes majority of format (enough for my needs)
  • Bluray menu navigation works fine
  • DV player led capability
  • HDR > SDR down conversion is good

Cons

• Lacks 4K & pass-thru audio capability for STREAMING apps
  • Mobile platform App Store not relevant for a home based component (Android TV platform would be a better strategy)
  • Music Player not “useable” for large collection (ie sorting, searching and navigation)
  • Overall VALUE proposition is limited (vs ATV, Nvidia Shield TV Pro)
  • DV execution not a sure win/improvements
1 Like

Yes, I agreed with all the cons you’ve mentioned in your post. A very well thought out review. I’m sure it will help some of the bros here who are still on the fence with their purchase decision.

New Beta firmware v6.3.35 is out for Z9X/Z10 Pro/Z1000 Pro/UHD3000:

Changelogs:

System

1. Added Roon Ready support (Currently Z9X only)
  2. Optimized NFS lag playback problem.
  3. Optimized the long-press function of the remote control.
    Poster Wall
  4. Fixed abnormal display when collections are added into a custom category.

Music Player

1. Fixed the problem that the song details interface is sorted incorrectly.
  2. Added the custom sorting function on the left menu.
  3. Optimized CUE seamless playback.
  4. Fixed abnormal sound problem when outputting some DTS-CD files via RAW.
  5. Optimized the information display of the playback details interface.

Player

1. Optimized some shortcut keys.
  2. Optimized the fast-forward function of the remote control.
  3. Added subtitle setting function to the subtitle list.

Update via OTA.

Just updated stable version v6.3.35_G on my Z9X OTA.

New Beta firmware v6.3.40 is out for Z9X

Changelogs:

System

1. Added volume control for CEC.
  2. Fixed the problem that the color of some special effects subtitles cannot be displayed correctly when outputting Dolby Vision.
  3. Fixed the problem that some video files playback will not end automatically.
  4. Modified the playback issue that some Dolby Vision films are stuterring.
  5. Fixed the problem that upper and bottom black bars of some films are grayish.

Player

1. Optimized forced subtitles functions.
  2. Added masked screen function.
  3. Optimized the display of some interfaces.
  4. Added the function to display movie info by pressing Left and Right keys for the first time.
  5. Fixed the problem that the status of subtitles is abnormal after pressing subtitle shortcuts to choose subtiels.
  6. Optimize playback stability.

Quick setting

1. Optimized forced subtitle settings.
  2. Optimize CEC settings.

Music player

1. Optimized interface freeze problem when there are too many music files.
  2. Optimized album sorting function.
  3. Fixed the problem that SACD album can not skip to next song occasionally.
  4. Optimized the display of some interfaces.
  5. Fixed the problem that lists of artists and albums don’t refresh when scanning.
  6. Optimized the sorting function for the current playlist.
  7. Optimized the device removal function.
  8. Optimized image loading speed and stability.
  9. Optimized matching function.
  10. Added the loading function for artist list.
  11. Optimized CUE parsing.
  12. Optimized UPNP data loading speed.
  13. Optimized scanning stability.

Poster wall

1. Added movie info acquisition when scanning.
  2. Optimized the information icons on movie details interface.
  3. Added more information in movie details interface.
  4. Fixed the problem that scanning cannot be completed occasionally.
  5. Optimized the loading speed of posters.
  6. Optimized the poster display of watching record on the homepage.
  7. Added information source on movie details interface.
  8. Added function to export export collection picture in NFO.
  9. Added local collection picture recognition function.
  10. Optimized trailer loading.
  11. Optimized custom classification collection.
  12. Optimized the scanning stability.
  13. Added Dolby Vision category on Widget.

Z9X:
v6.3.40
链接:http://apidl.zidoo.tv/Z9X/v6.3.40/Z9X_P_v6.3.40_202109112033_ota-package2.zip
MD5: 08993D1FDA189F66887967BF7A1D82DF

v6.3.40_G
http://apidl.zidoo.tv/Z9X/v6.3.40/Z9X_P_v6.3.40_G_202109112044_ota-package.zip
MD5: 0D7D0CE7FB1C8F83F3992D0F7F04D3B6

2 more models added to Roon ready

v.6.3.40 is now available on all Zidoo models. except for Neo I believe.

Love the new Home Theater App from Zidoo…very well organized and detailed media file info on display.

Didn’t know Zidoo also dabble into the mini PC realm. It supports Linux OS with Rockchip found in some entry-level android phone. So far not available for sale (based on the article).

Hi Ricky,
What did you select for HDR > SDR conversion? Is it SDR Rec 2020 Limited selection in HDR option?

Bro Kaydee6, you face any issue with HDR to SDR 2020 conversion?

Not really, just that the only option of using Realtek HDR to SDR BT2020 Limited produces suboptimal result. Colors are out of whack.

Bro, you have to make sure your display settings are able to support what you set for your Zidoo.

Sorry for the late reply,…
I’ve since returned the test unit thus I cannot verify what settings I had used.
I’m still on the fence on getting this, my reservation is on the music player performance, I had wanted something that performs well for both movies and music.