What Movies or Shows Have You Seen Recently?

Time for 6 quick ones…

We have finally jumped on the Moving (2023) bandwagon. When one person recommended it I put it at the back of my watch-list (depending on who recommends it); when the second person recommended it, it jumped to the front of the queue; when the third person recommended it, I stopped whatever I was watching and dived straight in. Moving was recommended to me by four friends. The story is about how the quiet lives of three high school students with genetic superhuman abilities are turn upside down when a mysterious organization starts to hunt them down one by one, including their parents. The plot is reminiscent of Heroes (2006-2010) with each of the earlier episodes expounding on the back story of one of the characters. So in that respect it isn’t fresh, but credit has to be given to how they made the characters so relatable. It is one third of coming-of-age, one third family drama and one third superhero mano a mano fights. Some friends warned me ahead of time that the pace is slow, but what they termed as slow is, to me, character development. For me, the fights and conflicts will only have stakes if the characters have been fleshed out. It was in ep5 that I got really hooked and that episode is devoted to Hi-soo’s poignant back story and how sometimes a particular colour can be a trigger for a traumatic memory. I fed on the wholesome but unlikely love story between Bong-seok and Hi-soo. Both possessing super powers that they look on as curses and stumbling blocks, but they somehow complete each other by showing kindness to each other. The innocence on Bong-seok’s and the vulnerability on Hi-solo’s mien are so palatable and authentic. A superhero story calls for a villain and we are graced with a dead ringer for the landlord in Kung Fu Hustle (2001), who goes on a murder spree of killing the adults who have super powers. The fights are loud, bombastic and inventive. The villain is also given a back story which makes him a more sympathetic character. Extended flashbacks are the modus operandi here and the story in the present gives way to episode-long back stories for every adult character. I particularly enjoy seeing the romantic arc of Mi-hyeon and Do-shik which has so many soul-shattering moments. If I have an issue with Moving it is that many a time the extended flashback stories become another show altogether. The link from these stories in the past to the present is not strongly drawn. This isn’t Lost which flits effortlessly between the past and present with the former informing the latter. But just as I was getting exhausted by these long excursions, along comes ep12 which jolted me out of my lethargy. It was very cleverly written, essentially playing on the timeline of Joo-won’s arc. Suddenly, everything fits. The production values are high and the big fights look like they had the budget of MCU movies. But I don’t know… after ep12 I still have many nagging questions clawing at the back of my head like are these super powers genetic or manufactured? Why are all these superpowers living conveniently in the same town? Why is the CIA so generically portrayed like some nefarious one-dimensional organisation? What’s the deal with the Korean organisation with all these superpower beings? I would think the show will start to answer some questions rather than keep developing characters endlessly. It takes a long time for the story to go back to the present and by that I mean ep15! And then there is one more extended flashback but this one is so well-told, which is basically a Teacher of the Year story and I love it. Not many filmmaker will even take a detour so late in the game. The final battle is very unlike MCU or DCEU stuff which are Defcon One level devastation; practically all of the final denouement happens in the school. There is a freshness to the proceedings and the climatic fights are inventive. Though loud and bombastic, it can somehow find an emotional heart somewhere. Then comes the setup for S2 which disappointed me. I really wanted a closure but alas no. Moving doesn’t reinvent the superhero genre wheel but it does enough to prevent it from being derivative. No regrets watching this but I wouldn’t say it’s “the best show this year” like some of my friends did. (3.5/5)

Lost in the Stars (2023), I nearly caught at the cinema a few months ago because of the good word-of-mouth and it was also a massive box-office hit in China, but somehow I missed it. Then recently it popped up in Netflix. The story has an intriguing premise: He Fei’s wife, Li Muzi, disappears during their anniversary trip. When she reappears, he insists that she is not his wife. As Chen Mai, a top lawyer gets involved in this bizarre case, more mysteries start to emerge. Based on a play by Robert Thomas, “Trap for a Lonely Man”, that has been adapted for television and film at least ten times in nearly as many languages, I was surprised I have never seen a single iteration of the story which makes Lost in the Stars an engaging watch. The cinematography is sleek, the pacing is electric and the twists and turns made my mouth open wider and wider. I am glad I didn’t see this at the cinema because watching it with Choo in the comfort of our home theatre was a very fun activity. Our minds were working over-time throwing out hypotheses left, right and centre. As it turned out, we guessed the ending half an hour before it dropped and we were spot-on even with the falling action. However, I must say the denouement stretches belief and logic, and it was mired in the usual soft music and sad ballad to cement the climatic and manipulative ending. If you don’t put on 100% of your thinking cap and keenest observation of human behaviour, this is quite an entertaining movie. (3/5)

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar (2023) is one of four shorts directed by Wes Anderson for Netflix. I have fond memories of this particular Roald Dahl’s short story which depicts a wealthy man who finds new meaning in his life. Anderson practically translated the short story in form and in words to a little 1.33:1 aspect ratio resembling a book. All of Anderson’s choices of stylistic are on full display: the perfect symmetry of the set, the precise placement of the actors, the soft colour palette and the faux fourth wall breaking. It was very fun and entertaining for a while, but it wore on my nerves. Thankfully, it is a 40-minute short because it felt gimmicky and grated on my nerves after the halfway mark. I saw Poison which is shorter but the ending totally missed the mark for me. I am not sure I want to see the other two. (3.5/5)

Renfield (2023): In this modern monster tale of Dracula’s loyal servant, Renfield, the tortured aide to history’s most narcissistic boss is forced to procure his master’s prey and do his every bidding, no matter how debased. But now, after centuries of servitude, Renfield is ready to see if there’s a life outside the shadow of The Prince of Darkness. If only he can figure out how to end his codependency. This was a helluva fun to watch with enough smarts for stop the movie from being too campy. The ultra-violence is a hoot to watch and chemistry between Cage and Hoult is sizzling. Nicholas Cage looks like he was having so much fun being Dracula. We had a blast watching this. (3/5)

Ice Kachang Puppy Love (2010): A reserved, quiet young lad (Botak) bears a secret admiration towards Fighting-Fish, who rents a stall in the same coffee shop. He was never bold enough to confess his love towards her and only conveyed it through drawing portraits of her. This was a joy to watch because it brims over with nostalgia with sights of Malaysia one can hardly see anymore. Botak is acted by Ah Niu who also wrote and directed the film. It isn’t a polished film, but warts and all, Ah Niu wears his heart on his sleeve and made a very personal film. It feels over-loaded with sub-plots but I have a feeling he was trying to translate all his cherished childhood memories onto film. This is a delightful film but it won’t be for everyone, especially if you even know the word “kampong”. (3.5/5)

The Tunnel to Summer, the Exit of Goodbyes (2022): Kaoru Tono is on his way home from school when he wanders into a tunnel one day. Rumor has it this tunnel can grant you any wish, but if you spend too much time there, you will lose many years of life. What he finds there is not quite what he expected-particularly as he’s exiting, and he finds, waiting for him, the troublesome new transfer student Anzu Hanashiro. This has an intriguing premise and if you see it with another person, you will no doubt discuss whether you would give up a few years of your life for this wish. This looks like the perfect conundrum for a fascinating story but the director doesn’t double-down on the life-changing choice, focusing instead on the parameters of how one can get the cake and still eat it. A lot of missed opportunities here, but the animation is gorgeous and the focus on teenage angst and first love is spot-on, but I still feel in the hands of a stronger storyteller this will be a fascinating story in the vein of Makoto Shinkai’s Your Name (2016). (3/5)

I was feeling under the weather and didn’t get to muse on movies and shows for a while. Normal transmission will now resume…

Killers of the Flower Moon (2023) is an engrossing movie for sure, all 206 minutes of it. It brings to light a dark time in early 1920s Oklahoma when oil was discovered in Osage Nation land, making the tribe of Osage natives some of the richest in the world. This attracted the attention of unscrupulous businessmen who engaged in some nefarious evil plot to systematically kill them off after marrying into their families. Murders got swept under the carpet as the white businessmen strived until the FBI stepped in to unravel the mystery. It has been two weeks since Martin Scorsese’s magnum opus opened and the glowing discourses on the film have gone round the world and back a few times over. I mostly concur with them – the tone, the acting, the cinematography and bleak look of the film, and the go-against-the-grain epilogue which cleverly comments on how humankind loves to view violent historical times as entertainment, but while I was watching the movie I kept thinking wouldn’t shaving away some of the hollow dialogue and empty emotions sharpen the focus of the narrative. This is one of those films you know the ending from a mile away and the characters need to make the journey to the destination worthwhile, and I can’t say the journey was totally enthralling. Ultimately, what worked for me is the flawed love relationship between Lily Gladstone’s Mollie and Leonardo DiCaprio’s Ernest. To me, this is the heartbeat of the story and my mind struggled with why Ernest has no moral compass when it comes to eliminating Mollie’s family like they are insects but stops short of doing the same to Mollie, while Mollie can time and again excuse Ernest’s cruelty until the final straw. Is Killers of the Flower Moon a great film? Yes, it is but for me there are two types of great films – those I can watch again and again with no decrease in entertainment value like The Godfather (1972) and The Shawshank Redemption (1994), and those I can only see once like 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) and Gone With the Wind (1939) (I know it’s sacrilegious) . Killers of the Flower Moon is in the latter category for me. (4/5)

Interview With the Vampire (2022 – ), the TV show, a re-iteration of Neil Jordan’s movie in 1994. The story should be familiar to many and I read the first 3 novels when I was a young man. The movie was a misfire rendering of Anne Rice’s iconic novel, but why touch it and redevelop it as a series? If one does it, one needs to bring something new to the plate and by golly the TV series is a scrumptious bloodfest. These days casting an African American in a main role is probably a contractual clause, but Jacob Anderson’s Louis de Pointe du Lac, the role played by Brad Pitt, is a brilliant role. He plays an African American Creole and his role allows the story to examine the racial themes of New Orleans in the early 20th century. The casting is perfect, evident in the chemistry between Sam Reid as Lester de Lioncourt and Anderson is very palpable as with Bailey Bass who plays Claudia. The tone, the writing, the action, the set design, all exquisite. It’s a dysfunctional family story, a coming of age story and even a love story, and I actually thought the best lines belong to Eric Bogosian who plays the interviewer. They say the best form of flattery is imitation, then this goes beyond that. This is a clever reinvention of Rice’s literary universe and I can’t wait to see S2. Oh… we binged S1 in one day and it has been a long time I could do that with a TV show. (4/5)

The Fall of the House of Usher (2023) is a clever homage to Edgar Allan Poe. I think one can derive a lot more joy from this mini-series if one is a Poe fan. Poe’s short story in the namesake is used as the narrative frame and each episode is devoted to another short story by Poe. Some of my favourite stories are featured like The Tell-Tale Heart and The Pit and the Pendulum, and I get such a frenzied rush when I see how the deaths are going to drop. It also uses major characters in Poe’s literary oeuvre like C. Auguste Dupin and Arthur Pym not just in creative ways but retaining their literary core. Mike Flanagan even comments sharply on the unscrupulous pharmaceutical industry which profited obscenely from the unsuspecting public’s opioid addiction. However, the proceedings can feel forced and it’s too verbose for its own good. I find the Usher characters in various degrees on the scumbag spectrum so in that sense their demise doesn’t carry any emotional heft and with that goes any tension. Ultimately, this is an ambitious undertaking of Poe’s literary output, modernising Poe’s gothic stories for a modern audience and the pluses overshadow the minuses. (3.5/5)

Fair Play (2023) has a typically designed poster that screams sleazy movie of the week but it turned out to be a thoroughly gripping movie from a bloody opening sex scene to the final cut to black that felt like a slap to my face and I mean it in the nicest possible way. The story and plot is about how an unexpected promotion at a cutthroat hedge fund pushes a young couple’s relationship to the brink, threatening to unravel far more than their recent engagement. This is about how insecurities and bitterness can destroy any relationship. This is one of those movies that I can see how the ending will turn out but yet I was engrossed all the way because of the sharp writing and a pair of committed performances by Phoebe Dynevor and Alden Ehrenreich that don’t depend on extreme histrionics. I love how the movie gradually escalates till it hit breaking point and both of them show how ugly they can be. One of the great surprises for me this year. (4/5)

The Burial (2023): Inspired by true events, when a handshake deal goes sour, funeral home owner Jeremiah O’Keefe (Tommy Lee Jones) enlists charismatic, smooth-talking attorney Willie E. Gary (Jamie Foxx) to save his family business. Tempers flare and laughter ensues as the unlikely pair bond while exposing corporate corruption and racial injustice in this inspirational, triumphant story. This is a very efficient and rousing movie and I always have a soft spot for David vs Goliath stories. The movie does conveniently gloss over some aspects like Jeremiah says he has many children but not one of them feature in the story, but that is probably a creative choice by Maggie Betts to keep the tight focus on Jeremiah and Willie. Acting-wise this is stupendous and I won’t be surprised if Jamie Foxx earns a nomination for a rambunctiously showy but entertaining performance. The energy is infectious and even before it hits the trial you already how it will end but when the verdict is delivered it still made me punch the air in victory for the small people. I also love the air of optimism in the air so what if it’s a piped dream. I want to believe that the justice prevails and no amount of money and heartache can destroy hope. (4/5)

I will end with a TV series we are currently watching and we are up to the final episode of S1.

Hidden in Amazon Prime and without much fanfare is Made in Heaven (2019 – ) and S2 just dropped a few weeks ago. Heck, I didn’t know about it till S2 dropped. The series follows the lives of two wedding planners, Tara (Shobhita Dhulipala) and Karan (Arjun Mathur), who are running a wedding planning agency named Made in Heaven. The format is reminiscent of Six Feet Under with each episode devoted to a wedding and wild shenanigans that happen during the wedding and to the core cast. I love Zoya Akhtar’s work but it took me a while to get into this. I know exactly the moment it grabbed my heart – midway through ep3, a story about an old couple who found love and how the woman wishes for the blessings from her children from a father who has passed away years ago. I am not ashamed to confess I teared up not from the histrionics but from how dated the minds of the children are. I didn’t even have to turn my head to know Choo is quietly crying at the exact the same moment as me. The episode ended soaringly well and it made me realise we are placed here to love someone and be loved and that we need love no matter how old we are. From this moment onwards, I was all in, hook, line and sinker. Though featuring a big fat Indian wedding for each episode, the story never feels repetitive and it is eye-opening to see the hypocrisy in each wedding that goes beyond the union of two souls in love. I love seeing the juxtaposition in each episode – the wedding on the big front is a glitzy and happy affair, but behind the scenes Tara and Karan have to make snap decisions, meet tight deadlines and deal with unreasonable expectations. Though masters of the art of planning a wedding, both of their personal lives are in shambles – Karan is a gay man in an Indian society that see it as an abomination, while Tara’s marriage is about to crumble. I particularly love the scenes with the videographer who will film and interview the wedding couple and close relatives. There is something disarming about the camera and it allows the principals to be truthful and candid. The commentary at the end of every episode which are keenly observed. It can be a skewering of crippling traditions but there is also hope for the future. This is an excellent series that addresses so many pertinent issues that affect the Indian society, but how it does this without being preachy is a class act. I can’t wait to go straight into S2. (4/5)

Got a bit lazy so I am forcing myself to punch out 6 movies I want to say something about…

Napoleon (2023) is a Ridley Scott biopic that details the checkered rise and fall of French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte (Joaquin Phoenix) and his relentless journey to power through the prism of his addictive, volatile relationship with his wife, Josephine (Vanessa Kirby). The battles are staged brilliantly and no two battles feel the same sometimes just through clever lighting. The sets and costumes are opulent and resplendent respectively. However, I find myself not fully vested in Napoleon’s journey because I can’t feel much from Phoenix’s dry portrayal of a brilliant general. There is a silent pool in Napoleon, a stirring that does not invite foolishness, a quiet that covered a tempest, but the tempest is never revealed even in the end. Napoleon remains a dark hole with a light turned off. I know he is a great tactician but I get a feeling he is more lucky than anything. I know he loves Josephine but he is more possessive than anything. I know he has to possess charisma to lead armies of thousands but I don’t see that at all. The other thing that bothered me is the numerous story gaps. It feels like there is a much longer version out there and this truncated one is for the theatres. Some examples are how characters are introduced and they disappeared right after that like Josephine’s children from previous relationships; and what ever happened to the Napoleon’s offspring? All in all, this is still a scrumptious watch but I have a nagging feeling Scott is going to eventually give us a director’s cut, as he usually does, and that will be a much better movie. (3/5)

From one Joaquin Phoenix movie to another… Beau Is Afraid (2023) chronicles Beau’s existential journey following the sudden death of his mother. Beau, a mild-mannered but anxiety-ridden man, confronts his darkest fears as he embarks on an epic, Kafkaesque odyssey back home. I adore Ari Aster’s horror oeuvre and I told myself I will watch anything he makes but After Beau Is Afraid I will not be going in blind anymore. This is a 3-hour head trip. I had no idea about the runtime until Choo asked me how long more at the hour mark and I had a rude shock. It starts off strong like a loud crunching of a fist rambling through HDB estates before it says hello to you. It started at Toa Payoh, went up to Bishan, stopped for coffee at Ang Mo Kio, picked up steam coming out of Yio Chu Kang and hits you in Sengkang with a punch… from a rabbit. So Beau has mummy issues, why do I need to endure 3 hours for that? That said, I never found this to be a waste of time and I found it darkly funny at times and the themes of familial grief and inherited burden palpable. (3/5)

Anything by David Fincher is always greeted with excitement and anticipation by me, but I am not impressed with his latest… The Killer (2023). It’s a shame really because I am a huge fan of the French graphic novel the movie is based on. The slap across my face was that Fincher only borrowed the vibe and character, but none of the story. It’s a story about an assassin who battles his employers and himself, on an international manhunt he insists isn’t personal all because he failed his mission and doesn’t appreciate that his employer tries to get rid of him. So essentially it’s a non-story about assassins who failed their jobs. Michael Fassbender plays the killer without any moral scruple or compass. All he has is a set of deadly skills and a mantra that he keeps doggedly repeating to himself. He is quite interesting to behold but I never got under his skin and understand what makes him tick. He feels more hollow than the same character in the graphic novel. I don’t know man… Fincher said he loved the comics but to go ahead and make a different movie from the source other than the first hit and some character aspects feels like a misnomer and approaches disrespect. It’s likewise with Napoleon when Scott deviates from history to tell his version of events. This is a one time watch and immediately when it ends you will not remember much. This isn’t top tier Fincher. This is many rungs below that. (3/5)

And talking about creative deviations from source materials, Zhang Yimou’s Full River Red (满江红) (2023) is another good example. The plot: During the Shaoxing period of the Southern Song Dynasty, four years after Hero Yue Fei’s death, Qin Hui led his troops to negotiate with the Kingdom of Jin. On the eve of the meeting, the envoy of the Kingdom of Jin died at the prime minister’s residence, and the secret letter he was carrying disappeared. By chance, a small soldier and the deputy commander of the personal battalion were involved in this huge conspiracy. Prime Minister Qin Hui ordered the two to find the murderer within an hour, but things were far from that simple… With the in-depth investigation full of dangers, the truth behind the case seems to be a bigger conspiracy hidden. Zhang at this stage of his career is at his most experimental. At 2h 40min, it’s too long and indulgent for its own good and moves too slow and repetitiously in the first act. I find the modern rap songs done to traditional Chinese music very jarring and I doubt Zhang even cares. He is in total experimental mode here. The plot is complex and meandering, and only becomes clear in the last act which is quite rousing. The namesake of the mandarin title will appear in Yue Fei’s last poem and it is quite stirring (it’s one of those times I wish I had pay more attention during Chinese lessons), but then again a friend of mine found it quite cringeworthy and he can recite the poem word for word from memory. (3.5/5)

No Hard Feelings (2023): On the brink of losing her home, Maddie (Jennifer Lawrence) finds an intriguing job listing: helicopter parents looking for someone to bring their introverted 19-year-old son Percy (Andrew Barth Feldman) out of his shell before college. She has one summer to make him a man or die trying. Gotta love the pun in the movie title, but the movie never quite succeeds as a raunchy comedy like The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005). The story feels too paper thin and the characters feels flat. That said, Jennifer Lawrence’s comedy bone is on full-on display here and she is game to try anything (Yes, that’s her in full naked glory). Her comedy timing is perfect and she is the best reason to catch this. The chemistry between the two leads is great, but the story and plot don’t take the characters to interesting places so much so that when the third act descends into emotional drama it miss the spot for me. (3/5)

Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret (2023) is easily one of this year’s best films. I laughed, I cried and I hugged my wifey and asked her if the first time she got her period was an eventful one like Margaret. She said no :rofl: I had no idea this is a movie adaptation of a seminal novel published in 1970 and has become a much beloved book for generations of girls. I doubt there will be many complaints about the adaptation because it captures an elusive time and place so remarkably well. The story focuses on Margaret Simon (an incredible Abby Ryder Fortson) is just 11 going on 12 when her family moves from New York City to Fartbrook, New Jersey. Margaret’s mother is Christian and her father is Jewish. Margaret has been raised without an affiliation to either faith, and does not practice an organized religion, although she frequently prays to God in her own words, beginning by saying, “Are you there God? It’s me, Margaret.” She is beginning to feel uncomfortable with her lack of a religious affiliation. For a school assignment, she chooses to study people’s religious beliefs, hoping to resolve the question of her own religion in the process. Part of her study involves attending different places of worship to better understand religious practice and also to see if one of them might be right for her. She enjoys spending time with her Jewish paternal grandmother, Sylvia Simon, who loves her as she is, and hopes Margaret will embrace Judaism after taking her to her synagogue for Rosh Hashanah services.

Writer-director Kelly Fremon Craig’s second film has hit another home run just like her excellent debut The Edge of Seventeen (2016). Her understanding of the internal turmoils going on in a girl studying in elementary school is spot-on and how she captures all the details in such sweet tenderness is a gift. There are numerous movies from a guy’s perspective, but it is so refreshing to see something from a gal’s perspective. The movie succeeds in making me walk with Margaret as she struggles to find meaning, purpose and religion. It’s wistful and sincere without a tinge of manipulativeness and twee. It made me think back to my adolescent years, obsessing with the opposite sex and making a critical decision to believe in God. The movie presses all the red hot buttons but never becomes cloying or force any idea down your throat. Abby Ryder Fortson is perfectly cast and even all the peripheral and secondary characters have moments to shine, especially Rachel McAdams’ Barbara. There are so many takeaways from this gentle coming-of-age movie and I can’t recommend this enough. “I must, I must increase my bust!” I laughed myself silly when I heard that. (4/5)

1 Like

it won’t be easy to make a film to tell a story of historical figure, make an edit for theatrical screening, settle @158mins.

highlights of events relate to a historical figure like Napoleon… 270mins Director’s Cut may not even be enough.

eventually… we may want a longer version that would run 7hrs long, split into 7part mini-series as announced by Spielberg…

…making in Kubrick’s style and vision.

Time for another six and I start off with a couple of stinkers…

Where the Wind Blows (风再起时) (2023) boasts two super stars in Tony Leung and Aaron Kwok, but it is a total snooze fest at 2h 24min. The story is about a few good men in a sea of dirty cops and politicians. The storytelling is so choppy that after a while you will feel like puking out all the rubbish history lessons forced down your throat. It is well-acted no doubt but the story is not even coherent. It’s like in any scene there is a beginning, a middle and an ending, but the director will just show you one out of the three and wants you to connect the dots. Such an utter waste of good actors. The moral lesson is that you should be the baddest bad guy because you can retire to Canada or Thailand and nothing will happen to you. Avoid this like it’s the newest variant of COVID-19. (1.5/5)

The White Storm 3: Heaven or Hell (扫毒3) (2023) is the third part in a trifecta – three movies of decreasing mediocrity in a row. I love the first part which was an invigorating reminder of the once trailblazing heroic bloodshed genre, but director Benny Chan of the first movie has passed on and the baton went to Herman Yau who typically doles out 2 to 3 movies in a year (there was a year he managed 4!) like its sushi on a conveyer belt. He does entertaining movies but I doubt anyone remembers much of the plot the moment the movie ends. He even wrote this installment and the story is yet again an undercover in a drug ring. The plot is so rote that you see ideas copied from numerous similar movies. Sean Lau hams it up to cringe worthy levels. Louis Koo used to be HK cinema’s busiest actor, but I think Aaron Kwok has taken over the reins. With each movie Herman Yau seems to have an aim: to make sure the bullet and explosion counts rival that of Hollywood movies. He might have bested Expendables 1 and 2 combined. Maybe he did, maybe he didn’t, I don’t care anymore. Spoiler alert: get ready for part 4 because Sean Lau’s character doesn’t die and he proclaims he will be back. I am not sure I will back though. (1.5/5)

Just when I thought it’s game over for HK cinema, a saviour appeared…

A Guilty Conscience (毒舌大状))) (2023) restores my faith the HK is not just about big-budget crime dramas. This one serves up bravura entertainment by the truckloads and does not forget about wearing its big heart on its sleeve. The story is about a scumbag lawyer who breaks good after his negligence causes an innocent woman to go to jail. He then works with another lawyer and his colleague to clear her name. I am not kidding about the scumbag part. Dayo Wong, who is a stand-up comedian, really owns the obnoxious part. How he looks out for himself more than the client makes me pissed. Then like all great character redemption arcs, I know the second act is about him becoming good and embracing the faint goodness within. The ending is a foregone conclusion but the journey to the destination is totally worth the trip. As much as it is about how justice prevails, it is also a double middle finger up yours against the rich, the powerful and the morally callused who think the road is paved only for them. It does go overboard with Dayo Wong’s closing statement, but by then I was all in and my fists punched the air in triumph. Every year you can get one or two really good ones from HK, this is one of them. (4/5)

Full Time (2021) is about a single mom who wakes up before dawn to go to the city for work. She is a head chambermaid in a high class hotel. Just when Julie finally gets an interview for a job that will let her raise her children better, she runs into a national transit strike. Holy molly! The moment the movie started I think I stopped breathing for 30min. This is realism cinema at its best. Hardly any sentimentalism, histrionics and contrivance, it puts you next to her as she does the long commute and makes snap life changing decisions all day long. The pace is relentless and Laure Calamy is riveting to behold. The movie rests on her shoulders and she reacts marvelously to every dire situation. The story is intensely relatable and I am sure it will remind of trying times you have gone through to make ends meet unless you live a cloistered life. The movie grabbed me from the start and at strategic points I was praying she will see light at the end of the tunnel. I checked out the special features to find out more about writer-director Eric Gravel. Turns out his idea for the movie came from his long commute to the city in the early hours many times a week for work and he noticed the people tended to be the same every day. He wanted to tell a story about these people but he knew he needed a frame to bring the story to focus and he decided to use a single mom. This is a great movie and it will make you believe that good stories can be found anywhere and the story can be told without CGI, and to put the audience in the throes of suspense you don’t need a James Bond, Jason Bourne or Ethan Hunt, you just need a single mom with a singular purpose. (4/5)

Now for two recent movies I saw at the theatres…

Thanksgiving (2023) by Eli Roth is based on the fake trailer screened during the Grindhouse(2007) doublebill. I just checked out the trailer again and it is way more bloodier than the new movie. I am not sure if Roth actually has a story in mind when he made the trailer, but he does in the recent movie and recreated all the scenes shown in the trailer. It is probably a conscious choice to tone down some of the scenes, especially with the human turkey scene. I love how he sets up the movie commenting on the greedy consumerism but it doesn’t gain much traction after the opening act. The characters are functionally written and my mind was just working to decide who will die first and in what order – definitely the obnoxious and highly sexed-up young couple, not the African American, he will be hurt but probably won’t die and most definitely not the sweet virginal looking girl. But seriously, slasher movies’ mainstay is the kills and they are grisly, gross and gnarly, quite inventive too, especially with that trampoline scene. The logic and motivation work too. Lots of red herrings. In the third act I turned to my friend to say who is the killer. Let’s just say I was nearly right. All in all, this is a pretty bloody fun movie and I am not surprised a sequel has been green-lit. (3.5/5)

The Boy and the Heron (2023) is by Hayao Miyazaki.

Review is over. You have to see it. His name is enough for you to see it.

But you know me… I have more to say and I am afraid I might get crucified for saying them. First of all, I had a rude shock when I was purchasing tickets. It’s S$18 per ticket! No credit card discount, no stored value tickets could be used. I handed over the money with no grudge. It’s Miyazaki, coming out of retirement to gift the world one more movie. I was just hoping I would see the sheer enchantment of My Neighbour Totoro, the gorgeous world-building of Spirited Away and the rich environmental themes of Princess Mononoke. Well, The Boy and the Heronhas all of that, but for me all of Miyazaki’s usual stylistics failed to coalesce into one potent whole. It felt more like a collage of his greatest hits. The narrative feels forced and some plot threads never hit anywhere purposeful. I also find some characters’ actions illogical like why would the boy’s step-mother go to the strange mansion to give birth? For a movie called The Boy and the Heron, what’s the deal with the heron? What is his purpose and link to the boy? For all it is worth, the animation is gorgeous and the fantasy world is superbly rendered, but as a sum total this is not anywhere near Miyazaki’s revered classics. Okay, you can crucify me now. (3.5/5)

Was in mid-east country yesterday. Had a few hours to kill before my flight. So, popped into a cinema in a nearby shopping centre and watched a Christmas movie… Silent Night.

It’s a John Woo action packed movie - where the action is literally louder than words. The main character, acted by Joel Kinnaman had … 0 lines in his script!! In fact, the entire movie, all the main characters had not a single word to say!!

It’s like John Wick, but not invicible. Just enjoy the action, don’t think too much else.

2 Likes

Time for six and I will start with a funny story…

I have always wanted to see Flash Gordon (1980) mainly because Queen wrote the music for it. A few months ago I chanced upon the blu-ray and I just clicked “buy”. I have hundreds of un-watched blu-rays and this one who just lying in a pile patiently waiting for me. One day I just decided Flash Gordon might a fun and cheesy way to spend an afternoon but what greeted me wasn’t Flash Gordon, it was Flesh Gordon (1974). Holy cow! What a difference a vowel makes. The plot: As a mysterious sex ray from outer space sends earthlings into an unrestrained sexual frenzy, it is up to Flesh, the son of the renowned physicist, Professor Gordon, to shed light on the knotty mystery. Now, with the aid of his voluptuous companion, Dale Ardor, and the mad scientist, Dr Flexi Jerkoff, bold Flesh Gordon ventures into the unknown, where no man has gone before: the distant Planet Porno, the realm of the evil megalomaniac, Emperor Wang the Perverted. But there, unspeakable horrors and endless pleasure await. Can Flesh thwart Wang’s wicked plans? Long story short, he does. Watching this felt like watching a grisly accident site. I couldn’t tear my eyes away. It isn’t even good smut, but it sure is saucy. The main actress spends more time topless than with clothes on. There are loads of full frontal nudity and orgies, so much of it that you would hardly feel titillated. I love the zany ideas like rapist robots, lesbian warriors, a stop-motioned Penisaurus and a phallic-like spaceship. This was one nutty soft-porn movie and I had a hoot watching it. (2.5/5)

Anatomy of a Fall (2023) begins when Samuel is found dead in the snow outside the isolated chalet where he lived with his wife Sandra, a German writer, and their partially-sighted 11-year-old son Daniel. An investigation leads to a conclusion of “suspicious death”: it’s impossible to know for sure whether he took his own life or was killed. Sandra is indicted, and we follow her trial which pulls the couple’s relationship apart. Daniel is caught in the middle: between the trial and their home life, doubts take their toll on the mother-son relationship. This is a stunning film and long after it cuts to black you will still be thinking about the characters. As much as it is a procedural, it is also a clinical examination of when and how a marriage ends. Remember that quarrel scene in Marriage Story (2019)? The one you will see here surpasses that on every level and in Sandra Hüller you will witness one of the best if not the best acting performances last year. This could have been a movie that will take the melodrama route and lay on the histrionics, but writer-director Justine Triet never presses the usual buttons. The end-product becomes a piercing study of the death of a husband-and-wife relationship and the reconciliation of a mother-and-son relationship. It might feel long and punishing, but I didn’t feel the runtime. In fact, I felt the length and the bleak snowy landscape reflect what happens to the characters internally. Right at the end I was holding out for one twist in the plot but I forgot this isn’t a Hollywood movie. It is more than a person who might be guilty put on the stand; it is the entire institution of marriage on the stand. Masterclass. (5/5)

Saltburn (2023). Struggling to find his place at Oxford University, student Oliver Quick (Barry Keoghan) finds himself drawn into the world of the charming and aristocratic Felix Catton, who invites him to Saltburn, his eccentric family’s sprawling estate, for a summer never to be forgotten. I first started watching this with the wifey and at the half hour mark she uttered: “WTF is this? I think you watch this on your own” which I did. The next day I told her a couple of very disturbing scenes in excruciating detail and she said: “Thank goodness I didn’t watch on”. To me the movie succeeds as a piece of provocative cinema and a showcase of solid acting. The ensemble looked like they had fun uttering crazy lines, especially Rosalind Pike who at one point announces the font she chose for an obituary that had me in stitches. And I can’t say this enough – Barry Keoghan is just on the precipice of going supernova. His creepiness and vulnerability shine brightly and that final scene is holy cow! But I felt the movie didn’t get under my skin with its social commentary on the super rich and entitled. (3.5/5)

If you want to experience madness, look no further than Klaus Kinski in Fitzcarraldo (1982). This is the story of Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald aka Fitzcarraldo who is an obsessed opera lover. He wants to build an opera in the jungle. To accomplish this he first has to make a fortune in the rubber business, and his cunning plan involves hauling an enormous river boat across a small mountain with aid from the local Indians. Remember when we were young and we were taught to chase after our dreams? Fitzcarraldo takes that damn seriously even in the face of insurmountable odds. In the true story, Fitzgerald actually disassembled his ship and carried the parts over the hill to the side of the river and reassembled it there. Not Fitzcarraldo, he engaged the help of hundreds of indigenous people and pull the ship over the hill using engineering contraptions. No CGI, no tricks and all madness. My eyes popped like saucers and my mouth hanged open. This is one of the most amazing scenes captured on film in full glory and I learned later through Wikipedia that people were injured during the humongous human feat. Klaus Kinski wasn’t even Werner Herzog’s first choice actor. Poor Jason Robards was suffering from dysentery midway through filming and had to drop out. Herzog had worked with Kinski previously but they had a poor working relationship. Surprisingly, Kinski agreed to be part of the movie and I find it hard to think of another actor playing the role. His is the face of madness personified. But I found myself asking who is the maddest here – Herzog or Kinski? Astounding movie. This one takes “grab your chance and go for your dream” to a whole new level. (4.5/5)

Patio of Illusion (何以飞翔) (2019), I know nothing of the movie but the score on IMDb was sky high and I just put the blu-ray in my cart. It was when the disc arrived that I realised only 28 people in the whole world voted! Looked like the joke was on me but I can tell you by the end of the movie Choo and I were utter mess. Ho Yi Cheung and Mei, a young couple in love, graduate from university in 1999, the same year as the handover of Macao back to China. Yi Cheng is anxious to leave the confining island, but Mei insists that Macao is her home and convinces him to stay. They choose a life they value, he an art teacher and she a nurse, and soon she gets pregnant. However, as the economy starts to boom, Yi Cheung chooses to make more money to support his family and quits his job to become a casino dealer. He starts to forget the old Macao that he and Mei used to wander around, becomes preoccupied with work and neglects his family. Only after Mei leaves him does he start to realize that his fear of losing his family has caused him to lose everything. Will getting back into art and unchaining his passion be enough to show her that he is the person she always thought he was? You already know the answer to that question but how it gets there is the meat. The movie has a very slice of life feel and only the cinematography will stop you from thinking it’s a made for TV movie. The struggles the couple goes through feel very real and it’s a good reminder that the choices you make as an adult have repercussions on your child. The other lesson I picked up is that chasing after money is endless and destructive if your focus is wrong. So what if you have loads of money but lose all your loved ones. And I love how Macau was shot – the locations are beautiful. I have been there and it looked nothing like how it was depicted in the movie. As the end-credits rolled, the filmmaker and producer explained how they wanted to capture Macau in all its glory and also wanted to comment on the struggles of people living there in 1999. This one really surprised and moved me. (4/5)

Postman Fights Back (巡城马) (1982) is of my favourite movies growing up. I recorded it on VHS and would play it again and again. I was never tired of it and I love movies like this where a ragtag team of misfits come together to fight a common enemy and in the end only a few would survive. I must have play the VHS to death and with the advent of DVDs I forgot about the movie. Then I chanced upon the blu-ray recently and the cover looked gorgeous. It’s time to revisit this on hi-def. The sad news is that visually the movie only looked marginally better but who cares when I watch this again through the eyes of a teenager. I was surprised I can still remember all the pivotal scenes and in my opinion this is one of Ronny Yu’s best films. Chow Yun-Fatt still cuts a fine figure with demons behind his eyes and Cherie Chung still feels underused and her quick demise went like ugh. Later, through the interviews I realised they hastily wrote that death scene because Chung had broken her leg in a stunt. Leung Ka-Yan cannot act for nuts but his kungfu prowess does it for him and Eddy Ko is one bad ass ninja. The action scenes still pack an insane punch and the death scenes still pack a wallop. Oh my… talking about it makes me want to see it again. (4/5)

Time for six…

We saw Old Fox (2022) at Vivo City. All through the 45-minute journey back, Choo and I had a spirited discourse about the movie. I live for these moments. Interestingly, I wouldn’t say it’s a deep movie and it actually encompasses the simple idea of temptation, but the entire package is utterly compelling. This family drama is about an 11-year-old boy who befriends his landlord, nicknamed Old Fox, and learns from him how to survive in a rapidly changing world as well as things his poor father would never be able to teach him. This feels very much like a chamber piece – you don’t see skyscrapers and malls in any of the scenes; everything revolves around a small town in the early 1980s. Yet, the issues showcased affect the greater Taiwan. I love the tone and vibe, everything from the set design to the fashion is distinctively 1980s. The music is also a character in itself. It never feels generic and supports the scenes superbly well. The climatic scene has 3 intercut scenes subtly linked by the propulsive music which serves to heighten the senses of the audience. The movie doesn’t force ideas down your throat but engages you and makes you think. For an eleven-year-old boy, cruising in a sports car with the top down in full view of the school bullies is deliriously intoxicating. The boy’s character arc is rendered perfectly and the lessons he gleaned from the Old Fox will make him successful in life, lessons like always mix with the winners and stay away from the losers and don’t develop empathy. The boy gets to experience first hand the power of those lessons. Does he change to the worst? I will leave you to find that out for yourself. There is a coda in the end which becomes more potent after my discussion with Choo in the car. There are two outcomes to the story of the old fox – you can either become him or you don’t. Sometimes there’s a third alternative. The coda is all about the third alternative. The movie won Best Director, Best Music, Best Supporting Actor for Akio Chen who plays the Old Fox and Best Make-up and Costume at the recent Golden Horse Film Awards. (4/5)

This Mandarin and Hokkien song appears in the last act. The sense of regret is so palpable. The song is seared into my mind.

Cream Soda and Milk (1981) is one of my guilty pleasures. I once recorded the mandarin translated version on VHS, then I owned it on VCD and DVD and now finally the blu-ray. The latter is the best version to see this 1981 movie released during Hong Kong’s New Wave movement. This is a smorgasbord of social problems all condensed into a 90-minute movie. You will see what divorce does to kids, terminal illness, poverty, prostitution, juvenile delinquency, homelessness, gender politics, class divisions and others. It sounds like downbeat all the way but it isn’t. The people languishing in their social class still find happiness in interesting places. This movie always makes me cry especially with the father and son relationship which is actually the namesake of the movie. Cream soda and milk was actually a popular drink concoction in the 70s. The dad shared that both he and the son are cream soda and milk respectively, together they become an awesome drink. The metaphor is strong. Coupled with the soft twinkling ivory my tears always rolled when they go through so much hardship together. I can see the movie feels rammed up with every social problem Hong Kong was going through and how the system has failed them. For most viewers this is the very essence of an emotional manipulative movie, but a movie that can make me tear up through the years in all its different physical media format has to have gotten something right. (3.5/5)

Hand Rolled Cigarette (2021) is a story of how a retired British-Chinese soldier (Lam Ka-Tung) and a marginalized young South Asian man face the plight of being abandoned by society and how their relationship bolstered each other. When this was released in 2021 and together with Limbo (2021), it was a banner year for Lam Ka-Tung. Suddenly he has the lowdown on world-weary and guilt-ridden characters. The cinematography is very Neo-noir and provides a hard edge to the lives of gangsters. The last act has a long one-take fighting scene that is messy and brutal, a standout scene in recent memory. The social commentary angle of how the government has failed these ex British-Chinese soldier never gains traction and the unlikely relationship between the two doesn’t hit the stride because of the wooden acting of the South Asian man. Still this is a good watch and it’s probably something Quentin Tarantino would recommend. (3/5)

The Brothers Sun (2023) is a Netflix series that scores. It follows Charles Sun, a Taipei gangster who’s settled into his life as a ruthless killer, but must go to L.A. to protect his mother and younger brother after his father was shot by a mysterious assassin. The action is sleek, the dialogue is nifty and the characterisations so Chinese. For me, the fun wasn’t in seeing how the story unfold, it was seeing the references to Chinese behaviour that every Chinese would know so well. Like you have a rich family but education always comes first, you are organising a triad meeting and on top of safety and accessibility the food is important and Calbee prawn crackers is a healer of all wounds. I had such a hoot catching all these references and laughing at myself. Michelle Yeoh doesn’t get to flex her martial arts skills but she displays her negotiation and information lifting skills. The twists and turns are alright and it ends with a strong possibility of a S2. My one peeve is the Bruce character. The dude is a bull in a china shop, making rash decisions that put his family in danger. He is the very definition of a plot mover and it doesn’t help that he is a dead ringer for J.J. Lin whose music doesn’t do it for me. (4/5)

The Trial (1962) is an inspired feverish take on Franz Kafka’s novel by Orson Welles. Anthony Perkins is perfectly cast as Josef K. an office drone who is arrested for an unspecified crime. The story mirrors Orson Welle’s own ordeal in which he was exiled from Hollywood and he went the whole nine yards with creating aesthetic shots, expressionistic lighting and storytelling prowess with a nightmarish tale. This was a brilliant watch but not for Choo who has to know the story within 15min. I had to share with her what Welle’s intentions were – a middle finger up Hollywood for her to make head and tail of the proceedings. Years later, when reporters interviewed Orson Welles he would get flustered why everyone kept wanting to talk about Citizen Kane and Touch of Evil instead of The Trial which is a personal favourite of his. (4/5)

Home For Rent (2023) I heard from my friend who said that this was the second highest box office hit in Thailand. Thailand, horror, what’s not to like? Married couple Ning and Kawin move to a condo with their daughter Ing and rent out their house to tenants, Ratree, a retired doctor and her daughter Nuch. As Kawin’s behavior becomes increasingly disturbing, he is seen sporting a triangle-shaped tattoo, the same as Nuch’s. Meanwhile, Ning realizes that their daughter is being possessed by some unseen forces. I went in with no expectations, I came out feeling holy cow! I thought the mystery is mysterious and I was vested in Ning’s journey to arrive at the truth. The extended revelation at the end was jaw-dropping as we see things from a different perspective. All in all, this was a fun watch and you can find this on Netflix (3.5/5)

Time for 6 quick ones…

Argylle (2024) is about a reclusive author who writes espionage novels about a secret agent and a global spy syndicate realizes the plot of the new book she’s writing starts to mirror real-world events, in real time. The action comedy is helmed by Mathew Vaughn whose movies don’t colour within the lines. Argylle is him going crazy with the colouring and it becomes an exercise in extreme storytelling. Does it work? It does but only if you are in the right frame of mind. The twists and turns are more than the rollercoaster ride in Knots Berry Farm and Universal Studios combined till a point you are expecting a twist after 10 minutes from the previous one. That’s not necessarily a bad thing but twists work best when they are least expected. Here, you will be schooled very early on you can’t trust what you see and hear. The action is over the top and in my book Bryce Dallas Howard couldn’t convince me she is capable of all the physical feats. It is an entertaining movie while it last but it dissipated like gun smoke the moment it ended. If you have AppleTV+ I would suggest you wait for it to drop so you can watch for free. This is intended as a franchise starter and all I will say I will wait for the sequel to drop on AppleTV+ and I would then think long and hard whether I should watch it. (3/5)

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970) has nothing to do with the Jacqueline Susanna’s novel which I read as a teenager. It was a true eye-opener for a teenager. This movie blatantly borrows the same premise – three girls come to Hollywood to make it big, but find only sex, drugs, and sleaze – and does something outrageously different. The screenplay is written by Roger Ebert (yes, the eminent movie critic) and it is peppered with overt digs at the Hollywood system for “raping” the innocence of young girls. It was directed by Russ Meyer who has only made skin flicks (but good ones) up to that point. I watched it as a lunch time movie and only wanted to watch an hour of it but I ended up watching the whole thing and immediately dived into the special features. The movie is amateurish but there is a devil-may-care attitude that made it strangely addictive. The editing has a life of its own. Meyer doesn’t let scenes breathe and the pacing feels like it’s on drugs. The characters all feel larger than life and borders on camp but never quite slipping into that. The sex and drugs are on the galore level but I don’t think it compares the state of movies now. Then, the movie must have pressed all the buttons. The third act is violent, dialled up to eleven. Get ready to see a decapitation and a gun in sweet girl’s mouth. This is a product of its time and has become a cult film. I am glad I can chalk this movie off my list. (3.5/5)

The Mourning Forest (2007) is about a care-giver at a small retirement home who takes one of her patients for a drive to the country, but the two wind up stranded in a forest where they embark on an exhausting and enlightening two-day journey. I love Naomi Kawase’s An (2015) which is so heartwarming and life-affirming. So I picked up The Mourning Forest in a heartbeat and it managed to slow my heartbeat to a torturous lull. The movie can really test audience’s patience and I have to admit I fail to appreciate its meditation on loss and grief. I could feel my hair gradually turning white. It’s a Grand Prize of the Jury winner so the movie does have its audience but I am not one of them. If I had seen this with Choo I know she will be crushing candies and after the half-hour mark will put her head up and uttered: “what’s this movie about?” I know her that well. (2/5)

Now for 3 TV shows…

A Shop of Killers (2024) is a Korean action drama in which a niece who lost her parents and grew up in the hands of an uncle who runs a shopping mall selling guns Then she faces a new truth after her uncle’s sudden death. For the most part I enjoyed this because I like the inventive action scenes and the plethora of larger-than-life characters. Information is cleverly withheld and then doled out in small chunks by flashbacks. But the problem was once I got the whole picture I started to get bored and I started to see all the bad storytelling. For a show that only has 8 episodes, this felt too bloated especially with all the posturing of bad guys. Before the villain kills the protagonist he has to give a useless lecture. What I do like is the world of assassins it creates which has a shade of John Wick but the drama is letdown by some bad choices in storytelling. Yes, there is definitely a S2 and I can’t say I am excited to see it. (3/5)

True Detective S4 still has 2 more episodes to go but I can already form a strong opinion about this 4th season. How shall I phrase it? As crap goes, this is probably the top tier. It has some promises and shock value, but it is let down by downbeat characterisations and illogical situations. This is anchored by two of the most abrasive female characters who do late night booty-calls and don’t know how to treat people like human beings. Everything about this spells WOKE in all caps, the mystery of how a bunch of scientists in Alaska froze in grotesque manner takes a backseat to all emotional hang-ups of the characters. For an investigative procedural, I don’t get Jodie Foster’s character’s modus operandi – she will watch a video clip for an entire episode and get an eureka moment. There is no happy character here, including the dead ones. I get it… living in the god forsaken Alaskan outpost is white hell. Well, they can leave anytime they want right? I am going to plough through the last 2 episodes but I doubt they can right the ship going towards its final destination. Sorry, HBO should just bury S2-4 and declare S1 as a one season mini-series. Every installment after the first just eats into the legacy of the phenomenal first season. (2/5)

Mr and Mrs Smith (2024), the TV show on Prime, takes the template established in 2005 Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie movie and carves out something socially resonant. It is foremost an inclusive piece, meaning it is a show that includes different races. Call me stupid but a show about spies playing undercover as husband and wife working for a mysterious agency by eliminating targets (they did get to save one) would want to employ spies who can hide in plain sight. Why would they put an African American and a Japanese together? That bothered me and their chemistry wasn’t there in the beginning, only improving gradually. At first they set boundaries but we all know when the gunfights begin the collision of genitals will happen. I see this more as an eccentric and unlikely love story and the journey towards full realisation of what they feel about each other comes in the finale is a laugh out loud affair. I don’t know… I think all marriage counsellors will be out of a job if every couple can DIY what John and Jane Smith did here with truth serum. The action sequences are mediocre and the pacing is erratic, but the cool cameos made me look past the bad spots. Look out for Alexander Skarsgård, John Turturro, Ron Perlman, Paul Dano, Sarah Paulson and many others, all playing substantial secondary roles. I also like how the writers expanded the world of spies. Come on… there can’t be just one pair of John and Jane Smith right? This was a fun watch and it is a show that gradually found its footing near the halfway mark. I am all in for S2. (3.5/5)

Time for 6 and this is just a selection from a lot more I have seen since I last posted.

On the eve of Chinese New Year, I screened a horror double-bill at home without consulting Choo. Half an hour into Saw X (2023), Choo uttered: “Why are we watching horror tonight.” I replied her with a giggle of maniacal laughs. I have heard much nice stuff about this 10th installment but frankly after the abysmal Spiral: From the Book of Saw (2021), I wouldn’t believe anything I read. It turned out to be a solid return to form for the franchise, easily the second best movie in the franchise after the original. The plot of this installment cleverly situates itself between the events of the SAW I and II. A desperate John Kramer (Tobin Bell) travels to Mexico for a risky and experimental medical procedure in hopes of a miracle cure for his cancer – only to discover the entire operation is a scam to defraud the most vulnerable. Armed with a newfound purpose, John returns to his work, turning the tables on the con artists in his signature visceral way through a series of ingenious and terrifying traps. Unlike all the other SAW installments, whose selling point has always been the mind blowing traps and torture porn, this one not only recognises the sick “fun” of watching the movies but also gives us an emotional resonance missing in all these movies except the first. John Kramer is a force to be reckoned with and to listen to him utter: “I want to play a game” is to feel goosebumps rising. The story never over-reaches and keeps it simple, driving towards a finale where the scumbags get their bloody just deserts. The franchise has legs now and should be able to squeeze one or two more movies before the eventual chronology of SAW II. After that it would be impossible to write around Jigsaw’s death which has been set in stone, but weirder things have happened in Hollywood. (3.5/5)

Talk To Me (2023) is a helluva horror movie and it has been a while I get a chill and they are multiplying. Things get nasty when a group of friends discover how to conjure spirits using an embalmed hand. They become hooked on the new thrill, until one of them goes too far and opens the door to the spirit world forcing them to choose who to trust: the dead or the living. This one held my attention throughout and even Choo wasn’t crushing candies. There are many jump scares but they don’t feel derivative. The characters are not here to be cannon fodder and the stakes feel like the real deal. The scares are memorable, the dread feels palpable and the make-up is gnarly to the max. The whole thing builds towards an ending that hits my elusive g-spot. This is good horror and you can count on the fingers of one hand the number of good horror movies you will see in a year. If you are a fan of the genre, don’t miss this. (4/5)

The Holdovers (2023) is about a cranky history teacher at a remote prep school who is forced to remain on campus over the holidays with a grieving cook and a troubled student who has no place to go. This is a variation on the odd couple genre and I must say this: Hollywood doesn’t make movies like this anymore. This is a superb film, from the cinematography to the music to the acting to the writing, this is a stupendous film. I laughed my head off so many times and also held a lump in my throat at many heartwarming moments. This feels like the perfect amalgamation of little human stories of entitlement, grief, resentment and getting stuck in a rut. The writing is up the wall and I love listening to Paul Giamatti utter his bombastic vocabulary dipped in an avalanche of sarcasm. I know the momentum is with Cillian Murphy winning the coveted Best Actor Oscar. If there’s an upset it must be Giamatti who delivered a pitch-perfect performance. (5/5)

Table for Six 2 (饭戏攻心2) (2024), we saw in Johore Bahru during a short CNY getaway. I love the first one very much which happens to be the third highest grossing domestic film in Hong Kong. It had such a simple formula – everything shot in one locale, showcasing the sibling rivalry between 3 half-brothers living under one roof. The whip-smart dialogue has a life of its own. There is no way I can watch this in a translated-to-mandarin version screening in my cinema (anyway it wasn’t even screened here). So I was very excited to see this in JB and in its native language of Cantonese. I must first say the cinema-going crowd in Malaysia is still rather strong unlike mine whose cinemas are only packed for the latest big-budget action movie. I saw the excellent Taiwanese 周處除三害 with only one other patron and Past Lives with seven or maybe less in the cinema. I think Singapore is going to be Ground Zero for the death of the indie cinema. Anyway, I wished I can say I adore Table for Six 2 but I honestly can’t. It misses its biggest star in Dayo Wong terribly. Even though the characters keep mentioning him incessantly, the hole of absence is a deep void. Because of this, writer-director Sunny Chan kept making the other characters do stuff. This sequel finds two brothers hold their wedding on the same day and at the same venue, which allows Sunny Chan to write in a myriad of eccentric guests. At over 2 hours, this is the very example of a filmmaker trying too hard. The humour feels forced and the jokes fall flat, even the ever sweet Meow Meow could not assuage my feelings. The last act didn’t feel like it would ever end and kept throwing euphemisms of life. The way it ended leaves a door open for another sequel I will only be back if Dayo Wong is back. (2.5/5)

Marry My Husband (2024) is the Kdrama of the moment and it has just ended. The story is about Ji-won who after being killed by her husband who had an affair with her best friend, goes back 10 years in the past and has a chance to change her fate. It is based on a great what-if: what if you get a second chance to right all the wrongs done to you and at the same time wreak revenge on the scumbags? The main story spine is diluted by the usual Korean love entanglements and it really felt rather frivolous for me. But Choo loves this to bits and I succeeded in enduring all the way to the end by watching it through her eyes. I was bothered by a question of ethics: it’s all good to punish the scumbags but by journeying back to this different timeline these characters have not turn bad yet, so isn’t there a chance things could be different? And by punishing them, Ji-won essentially becomes cold-blooded to be able to accomplish her plan of revenge. My mind was constantly being bombarded all these ethical questions, but Choo explained that these scumbags will never change and to exact revenge there’s nothing wrong by becoming bad. She was right, of course. I like the mechanics of the time paradox in that some events will always happen but who they happened to can be different, so Ji-won has to do some problem solving in moving these traumatic events to the right people. There are holes the size of moon craters if you want to ponder over them. The show works best if you don’t put on your thinking cap. I like the ensemble acting, especially the scums. Song Ha-Yoon has the role of a lifetime and she was superb in her thankless role. It’s a calling card role for her. Likewise with Lee Yi-kyeong who plays Ji-won’s useless boyfriend. They are so bad, I feel like strangling them. I first saw Park Min-young in What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim and I couldn’t take my eyes off her. Here, she displays a lot more range. In my book, Na In-woo didn’t endear me because he carried one expression throughout the show. It’s a good show to relax to after a long day at work but give me cerebral stuff anytime. (3.5/5)

1923 (2023) is the next installment of the Yellowstone origin story introduces a new generation of the Dutton family and explores the early twentieth century when pandemics, historic drought, the end of Prohibition, and the Great Depression all plague the Mountain West, and the Duttons who call it home. I am a big fan of Yellowstone and 1883, each uses the same locale but the pacing and storytelling are uniquely different. I like how it shows you the unique challenges the Duttons have to face during different times in history. With 1923, it was a major coup to have two heavyweights in the two main roles and they put in a real shift here. I also appreciate the side-story of Teonna Rainwater and her arc is so brutal and violent. I also enjoy the side-story of Spencer Dutton who carries demons from the Western front of WWI. Like Yellowstone, 1923 is melodramatic and violent soap opera without the art. It’s all very entertaining and can easily suck you in, but it never approaches high art like Godfather or Game of Thrones. To be fair, writer Taylor Sheridan never has that lofty intention. The guy can really write strong characters who are caught between a rock and a hard place. We watch this in just a couple of sittings. (3.5/5)

1 Like

Time for six, three, I can only manage three.

Dune: Part 2 (2024), we saw on opening night and just like the first part, it made me feel like climbing up to the rooftop of the highest building and shout: “THIS IS CINEMA!” Denis Villeneuve has once again rewritten how epic sci-fi can be and should be. It is that rare movie that comes along a few times in your lifetime that will make you realise movies can be what dreams are made of. I used to get these child-like wonder type of lovelorn feelings in the beginning of my movie watching experience with movies like Star Wars, Jaws, Blade Runner, The Matrix and others. Then it started to get fewer and far in between, but occasionally there will be some that pop up that made me remember what cinema is all about like Baahubali and Avatar, and now this, Dune: Part 2.

The story starts soon after the events of Part 1, but Villeneuve employs a different storytelling track to chart the sequel which richly builds on the first. There are new characters played by Christopher Walken, Florence Pugh and Austin Butler. It could easily be The Chosen One type of story, but Villeneuve takes the road less travelled by giving us thematic depth, interrogating themes like power, obsession and ascendency by a person not of the same culture. Throw in lots of political intrigue and religious fanaticism, you get a space opera like no other. But this is probably not the way every movie lover looks at these two latest incarnations of Frank Herbert’s seminal Dune; it is the scope and set-pieces. Even in the opening sequence of how the Harkonnen troops scale the stronghold of the Fremen is an awe-inspiring experience. It felt like I was watching something like this for the first time and there are loads of these jaw-dropping set-pieces throughout the massive movie, including how Paul rides the sandworm which is epic.

If I have to nitpick I would say the final battle was over way too fast and felt too one-sided and the much hyped Beast Rabban vs Gurney Halleck fight was “What?That’s-it”. That said, I can’t wait to get the 4K UHD and rewatch it again in the comfort of my home. (4.5/5)

Exhuma (2024), at this moment is still raking in the dollars in Korea, a huge box office hit. Forget critics, if the bread and butter everyday men are watching this, it is worth steeling your fragile heart for a horror movie.

The story begins with a rich Korean family inviting a pair of shamans, Hwarim (Kim Go-Eun) and Bong Gil (Lee Do-Hyun) to solve their supernatural problem. The pair connect their woes to the family’s buried ancestor back in Korea. They return and team up with a geomancer, Kim Sang Deok (Choi Min-Sik) and an undertaker, Ko Young Geum (Yu Hae-Jin) to dig up and cremate the corpse, thinking that will bring the supernatural happenings to an end. Of course, that’s just the beginning of a whole lot of pain and grisly deaths.

There has been a lot of comparison of this movie to The Wailing (2016) probably because of the shamanism involved, but make no mistake The Wailing is the more superior film. That said, Exhuma is extremely entertaining especially in the final hour which had my heart parked in my mouth the whole time.

Writer-director Jae-Hyun Jang has the most specific filmography I know of. He has made 3 films of the same genre, The Priests (2015) and Svaha: The Sixth Finger (2019), interrogating how characters with a strong moral and religious spine will navigate the world of nefarious and supernatural evil. With each film he has sharpened his skills and tools.

Divided into 6 chapters, the movie can feel episodic but Jang knows how to inject adrenaline into expository scenes with a horrific incident. There are no cheap jump scares and there are quite a few scenes that had the half-filled cinema I was in gasped in surprise. God… how I missed this shared collective cinematic experience. Jang also knows how to paint dread in liquid red hues and the dreary atmosphere is deathly palpable. The ensemble acting by the four is top-notched, each providing counterpoints to the others and all of them are immensely watchable. I do wish for a bit more backstory to Bong Gil who is an interesting character.

Though massively entertaining, the movie does have some problems that stop it from being top tier. This feels like two movies rolled into one with the link between them not explained with clarity. Frankly, I was lost with all the geomancy mambo jumbo, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying the horrific ride. (3.5/5)

OMG 2 (2023) is the story of Kanti Sharan Mudgal (Pankaj Tripathi), a staunch devotee of Lord Shiva. One day his son Vivek (Aarush Varma), is blamed for misconduct and is expelled from school. Upon confrontation, Kanti realises that his son has been a victim of misinformation and misguidance. Kanti decides to fight the case in court as he believes the whole system is at fault here. He’s guided in his pursuits by divine intervention in the form of a benevolent stranger (Akshay Kumar), who turns out to be a messenger of Lord Shiva.

The synopsis above doesn’t say what is the case of misconduct. Hold on to your horses! It’s masturbation in a school toilet! How’s that for a lynchpin for an entertaining and illuminating lesson into what’s morally wrong and ethically right.

The story has nothing to do with OMG (2012) which was about a shopkeeper who takes God to court for destroying his shop in an earthquake. This time it’s a father who takes on the whole education system to court for not educating his son. It is also an endearing father-and-son story of which I have a fondness for.

The courtroom drama feels preposterous but there’s truth in how both sides argue the case. Masturbation is not wrong but where it is done is and that’s not to say the idiots filming the poor boy didn’t do anything wrong. I thought the courtroom proceedings really turn over a lot of cultural touchstones (think where karma sutra came from) and acceptable social behaviour. I had such a fun time watching this and after all the laughs it manages to provoke me to think where does the buck stop. Pankaj Tripathi really disappears into his role and long since Mirzapur (2018), I would watch anything he stars in. (4/5)

Yeah, true for Dune 2. They should/could have added maybe 5 or 10 more minutes into the final battles. Especially Rabban vs Gurney.

Today - watched Disney+ A Shop for Killers - episode 6 - the knife fight was excellent. Could match Paul v Feyd.

Used up all my creative juice for the Indonesian movie, so just 3 will suffice and I choose these 3…

100 Yen Love (2014), I wanted to see because I saw the Chinese remake YOLO recently and I was very curious to see how Jia Ling adapted the movie. This post will be full of spoilers. If you have an intention to watch any of the movies do skip this part.

32-year-old Ichiko (Sakura Ando) lives at home with her parents, passing the days in self-indulgent grunginess. Ichiko’s recently divorced younger sister Fumiko has moved back home with her young son. One day, after a particularly heated argument, Ichiko charges out of the house for good. With few employment options to support herself, Ichiko works the night shift at a 100 yen shop (dollar store). On her way home each day she passes a boxing gym where she watches Yuji Kano (Hirofumi Arai) silently practice, developing a crush on him. The pair starts seeing each other and things change for Ichiko… At last, the bell rings and longtime loser Ichiko’s rematch with life begins!

The initial difference one would notice is the tone. If YOLO is a drama-comedy, 100 Yen Love is on the other end of the spectrum. It’s a sheer downer, grungy and not pretty to look at. There is comedy but it’s a lot darker. The poor girl even got raped. It more or less follows the same emotional beats, but Ichiko isn’t a fat slob like Le Ying, more like a lazy layabout with no direction in life and boxing gives her that. I like that she works in a 100 Yen shop and the irony is perfect. There is a line she uttered that hit me hard. She says she is worth 100 yen and she doesn’t deserve anything better than that. Let that sink in. There is no enlightenment, just a full realisation she is worth nothing. When she eventually works her ass off for a boxing tournament, you will feel and root for her. YOLO does it like any sport genre movie – training montages are portrayed as entertainment and inspiration (YOLO even uses the Rocky theme for good measure), 100 Yen Love doesn’t do that – nothing about her training montages are flashy. It’s a one-woman against herself and the world. She wants to win just one time because she wants to know she is worth something.

The final boxing match is portrayed more or less the same way for both movies, but Jia Ling has a cool sequence that furnishes her character with the motivation for punishing her body to the extreme. It is the ending that differs for both movies. YOLO portrays Le Ying as a woman who has found her self-worth and she runs off into the night saying no to dinner with her ex-boyfriend. 100 Yen Love’s ending has Ichiko crying in front of her ex and she utters pitifully: “I wanted to win so much”. I don’t know man… I really didn’t like that and it was the same sentiment with 3 other friends who saw it with me. Ichiko continues to sob as she walks home with her ex. The ending felt so counter-productive and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Then I met my friend who lent me the blu-ray and we got to talking about the ending and I saw light from his point of view. He said that the Japanese movie has never gone round to portray a Hollywood type of sunset ending and it shows you the cold hard truth. The truth is that sometimes hard work doesn’t equal success. Sure, at that moment Ichiko is feeling like she is nothing but she will come to realise she is a different person from the one before she took up boxing. Sometimes it is about the process rather than the end product. I like what my friend shared. In that sense, Ichiko’s story is not over and her future is bright. (3.5/5)

I wanted to like Monkey Man (2024) more, but too many bad choices prevented that from happening.

Dev Patel plays an anonymous young man who unleashes a campaign of vengeance against the corrupt leaders who murdered his mother and continue to systemically victimize the poor and powerless.

This is one-man army action film. I have nothing against that. If done well, it will make me want to step into the movie and help the protagonist pummel the scumbags to hell. But writer-director Dev Patel in his directorial debut mistakes shaky cam, quick cuts and disorienting pans for great storytelling. The movie doesn’t subscribe to the adage “less is more” and even doubles down on “style over substance”. There are some great character moments but before we can become emotionally vested in his plight and character motivation, a quick cut will curtail the emotional impact to become a soft whimper.

The movie is very aware of the comparison to John Wick and it will mention its illustrious partner early on. Oh… there’s also a cute doggie. I can see Patel favouring kinetics and vibrancy, but the camerawork is so shaky that I couldn’t see what was going on during the action sequences. The violence is gratuitous – at first it looks amazing, but after the umpteenth violent scene it feels the movie only knows one way to depict violence. Let’s not even talk about all the one-note characters.

I really appreciated Dev Patel’s intention to write, act and direct the movie. In a snippet of an interview, he mentioned that the Indian actor is always stereotyped in Hollywood and can never be the hero in an action movie. So he decided to make that happen for actors of his race. I feel he has succeeded to a certain extent but I wish it had been a better and stronger film that will open doors to Indian actors. The movie just manages to stay afloat because of the charisma of Dev Patel. (3/5)

Zhang Yimou’s Article 20 (2024) is a Chinese New Year offering and in a busy movie schedule in China it has come out tops.

The namesake of the film title refers to a clause in China’s Criminal Law which permits an individual to take action to prevent harm from happening to themselves or others without facing punishment. Before you start thinking it’s a clear cut law, think about how intense you can defend yourself or others until you become guilty of a crime. The law has rarely been enforced successfully in the courts of law, despite being in place since 1979. Article 20 is a social drama in a sense and it has the noble aim of tackling this contentious issue. It will take all the humanism, political tact and bureaucracy know-how of Zhang Yimou to make the heavy subject accessible (to the masses and the government) and rousing.

Prosecutor Han Ming (Lei Jiayin) longs to take it easy but he is under increasing personal and professional strain. He is thrust with the difficult case of Wang Yongqiang (Yu Hewei) who is accused of murdering the man who raped his deaf-mute wife Hao Xiuping (Zhao Liying). On the home front, Han’s teenage son Yuchen’s academic future is in the wind when he injured the school bully while protecting a fellow student. To make matters worse, the bully’s father is the Dean (Zhang Yi). Han persuades Yuchen to apologise, but his wife Li Maojuan (Ma Li) insists their som did nothing wrong and does not need to apologise.

Then there is also Han Ming’s lead prosecutor and ex-flame Lu Lingling (Gao Ye) who is the spanner in the works. Their methods clashed, leading to much friction.

The subject matter is deathly serious, but Zhang manages to bring so much hilarity to the proceedings, especially in the first two acts. The strength of the movie is the stellar ensemble cast which includes actors who have worked with Zhang in 6 movies in 5 years. I love watching the verbal sparring and jousting between Lei and Ma. The animated banter is hilarious and how they poke each other with words is funny with arguments easily going off on farcical tangents. There are so many double-entendres that I was swimming luxuriously in them. The chemistry between them is so natural. They might be at loggerheads with each other, but their love for each other is undeniable.

Then it started to get real serious. The change in tone is at first jarring but it kind of reflects how fast funny news can become angry retorts in a flash of an eye in social media.

The last act in the court room goes too overboard for my taste with Han holding court and delivering a Braveheart-like didactic speech about how the law should be about protecting the innocent and not finding guilt in them for administering rightful street justice. The message felt jackhammered into my consciousness and Zhang doesn’t know when to stop when he is ahead. Will it change the courts of law? I think the jury is still out with that. It feels more like a fairytale wish of an ending. Only time will tell if the message has been embedded in the people. (3.5/5)

Just 3 this week and we finished Fallout last night and are going to start Shogun real soon. I will save that for another day. I will start with something challenging.

Mujô (1970), which also goes by This Transient Life, is a Japanese erotic drama film directed by Akio Jissoji, in his feature directorial debut. It is the first film in Jissoji’s Buddhist Trilogy. Starring Ryō Tamura and Michiko Tsukasa, it follows a young man who falls in love with his sister and gets her pregnant. After a monk from a nearby Buddhist Monastery finds out, the young man becomes an assistant to a master sculptor, only to proceed to complicate matters with his affair with the master sculptor’s wife. The film won the Golden Leopard at the Locarno International Film Festival.

This subject matter is disturbing and distasteful, practically morally depraved, but it is immensely watchable, like ogling at people walking on the highway to hell and you just want to sit back to see what hell looks like from the comfort of your sofa. The B&W cinematography is brilliant and well ahead of its time. The audacious play with framing, shadows and off-kilter angled shots is brilliant. Everything works in tandem with the craziness of the story. This is a dysfunctional family transcending to a whole new level. The parents want their son to continue his education and their daughter to agree to a suitor for marriage, but they remain defiant. Then, one sultry night, when you are all alone in the big house, they start to play with masks and the unthinkable happens. I know I am supposed to squirm in my seat and utter angry statements, but I curiously became totally transfixed and strangely aroused (I will be making an appointment with my psychiatrist after this). The story isn’t just about them, it’s also a sweet houseboy who has the hots for the girl, a monk who sees the illicit coupling but does nothing and also the master sculptor who enjoys seeing his student mess around with his wife. With so many characters intersecting in such despicable ways, the story never becomes convoluted. It is easy to follow until the third act when Jissoji lays on his obtuse ideas about Buddhism. He seems to be saying all of life is transient and nothingness and we should just embrace our desires and act on them. Good luck using this notion when you get arrested for something and decide to use this argument in court.

My friend told me that one needs to be of a matured age to appreciate Jissoji’s films because if your young mind is a sponge, you will start to carry out what he suggests and get into trouble. Not me, I know how to stay at a distance and appreciate a movie for what it is. The only scene that baffled me is the final scene with the grandma and a giant carp which coughs out hundreds of rocks, each rock with an inscription depicting the life story of the characters in the movie. It seems to suggest all of life is destined and already written. At least I think that is what it is saying.

This is a very interesting film, definitely very polarising but also very watchable. I like it to the extent that I asked my friend to lend me the other two movies in the Buddhist Trilogy. I started it, I might as well go the whole nine yards. (4/5)

The story and plot of Ripley (2024) should be clear to all if you have seen The Talented Mr Ripley(1999) or even Purple Noon (1960). They are others but these are the noteworthy two I have seen. Andrew Scott is the sixth actor to portray Tom Ripley and it’s not so much that he blows all the others out of the water, but each of them brings something totally different to the show, and since I am saying that I will also proclaim this is the first masterpiece on television this year.

If Mujô’s B&W cinematography is brilliant, then Ripley’s is masterclass. The stark black and white brings out the inherent psychotic evilness in Ripley. There is no grey area. He has elements of sociopathic and psychopathic behaviour all rolled into one sharp package. He is a compulsive liar, in fact he is only comfortable if he is lying through his teeth. His vacant eyes and mien are just facades to hide his manipulative mind as he works out all the permutations how best to end you.

This is a slowburn and I have a feeling not many will survive the first two episodes. Consider the first two episodes as the weeding period for the pretenders who constantly complains “why is this show so slow?” Even if it is slow or nothing much is going on, the cinematography is breathtaking and the setting up of the four characters is brilliant. The German expressionistic lighting, shooting the principals through something and those off-kilter camera angles, all gorgeous to behold. It’s not style over and substance, but style and substance all the way to the final frame. The stylistics and aesthetics do call attention to itself but never to its detriment, everything aids the storytelling.

Insofar Ripley is about how Tom commits his crimes, it is more about his great escapes. I watch the last 5 episodes in a frenzy and it’s such a rush to see the dragnet drawing close and how he can still get away in a hair’s breath. Mark my words, Andrew Scott is going to get nominated for Best Actor for a limited series come Emmy season. (5/5)

Parasyte: The Grey (2024), we binge-watched in one day. It has been a long time we did that. I think the previous series we did that was Squid Game. This is absolutely fun to watch and I remember having a thought about it midway through and told Choo “this is exactly The 3-Body Problem without all the mumbo jumbo and without trying so hard to be cool”.

Call me shallow if you like, but Parasyte knows what to do with aliens who just want to eat our brains. It makes it fun without sacrificing gratuitous violence and wanton bloodletting. There are many instances smart writing, eleventh hour tick tock suspense and interesting protagonists. Every episode ends with a cliffhanger and you will need God-like will power to stop there. I was completely lost in the story and couldn’t wait to discover everyone’s fate.

I did watch the Japanese live-action 2-parters many years ago but this Korean series cleverly sidesteps away from that to show you what happens to another city when these aliens invade it. That is whip smart writing 101 and then it ends with a super duper cool cameo that had me in delirium. You will understand when you see it. (3.5/5)

It’s me again and I have 3 great shows to recommend…

If your idea of entertainment is getting all stressed out, screaming expletives at the TV and tearing your hair out, then Netflix’s Baby Reindeer is the one for you. Don’t pay any attention to the cute title, this one might just bring the dark side, you never thought you had, out into the open.

Based on a compelling true story, the hit 2019 Edinburgh Fringe one-man stage-play Baby Reindeer follows the writer and performer Richard Gadd’s warped relationship with his female stalker and the impact it has on him as he is ultimately forced to face a deep, dark buried trauma.

The synopsis makes it out to be a psychological thriller, it isn’t. It’s profoundly complex although it might get you laughing at Donny Dunn’s plight (Richard Gadd) for a while. It’s all darkly funny and then suddenly it isn’t. The shift in tone is so sublime that I didn’t see it coming. From peals of laughter, it became streaks of anger. Dunn could have shut it down fast, but his actions kept encouraging Martha (a fabulous Jessica Gunning). It is easy to be on this side of the TV as we judge, criticise and say I-told-you-so, but Gadd convinced me that sometimes it isn’t as easy as it looks. Theirs is a relationship that is symbiotic – Martha and Donny feed off each other like parasites, giving each other the attention the other party craves, and I have not even touched on Dunn’s past sexual trauma when he was groomed. Even though I cringed and at times get so stressed from watching the proceedings, I understand how complex human beings are and we can’t pigeonhole characters like neat cardboard cut-outs.

I have no idea how much of Baby Reindeer is true, but it couldn’t have been easy for Gadd to come right out into the open with the horrid experience he had been through. It is all the more compelling because Gadd is a victim and is a dude. Stories about stalking usually have the female as a victim, so it is brave of Gadd to lay it all out.

It is early in the year but I have already witnessed some incredible performances on television – Andrew Scott for Ripley, Anna Sawai for Shōgun and now Jessica Gunning as Martha. She brings such a sublime balance between a maniacal and a vulnerability to her role that it is impossible to hate her completely. At times my heart goes out to her but her next tirade will reel everything back in. This is acting you need to see to believe.

All through to the ending I was pondering how is everything going to get resolved. I mean the bad guy and mean gal need to get a hurting right? That has to be the moral message right? The ending left such a bad taste in my mouth and it made me so pissed. However the next morning I managed to come to terms with the ending because it’s an ending that reflects reality. It’s me who wants everything to be tied up in a bow. We all know in real life, karma takes a long time to take effect and that evil continues to flourish. But you know what? Forget about the wall of words I wrote because my wife has the best review of this show. On the same morning I woke up feeling enlightened with the ending, my wife told me she hardly slept a wink the previous night because she had a string of nightmares about Martha. If that’s not the best double thumbs up for the show, I don’t know crap. (4/5)

These days I don’t play games except Pokemon Go which literally takes the better part of my daylight hours and night time just before 12am (if you are nodding your head that means you know why and this is me high-fiving you). The only computer games that I really played till I didn’t want to go to work were Command and Conquer and Red Alert back when I was a young dude.

It’s a careful and tricky art that comes with adapting games which has the flimsiest narrative structure. The good ones know how to find a balance between paying fan service and satisfying the craving of a great story by an audience who had never played the game. Prime’s Falloutis a prime example of a successful adaptation that scores marvellously for both types of audiences.

In a future, post-apocalyptic Los Angeles brought about by nuclear decimation, citizens must live in underground bunkers to protect themselves from radiation, mutants and bandits. A violent raid by bandits on an underground fallout shelter forces one of its residents to set out into a barren wasteland filled with radiation, mutated monsters, and a lawless society of those who remained on the surface.

The world-building is superbly and meticulously done, as with the characters and the worlds they inhabit. We first see an underground bunker whose residents are taught to adhere to the ideals of peace and brotherhood, but all that quickly goes to crap when they are raided by people on the surface. We get to follow Lucy (Ella Purnell) who ventures to the surface to save her father who was captured by the leader of the resistance. Then there is a soldier named Maximus (Aaron Moten) who wants to be a warrior and is never given a chance until something happens. Finally, there is The Ghoul (Walton Goggins) , the Man in Black, the man who sees all and has all the answers but he is not sharing. The three characters gradually intersect in imaginative ways.

I like the themes explored – capitalism in a dystopian world and what is the concept of freedom in a world decimated by nuclear war. Lucy is our surrogate and tour guide through this crazy world but this is really The Walton Goggins Show. I think this is his best role on television, even more outstanding than the ones he did for The Shield and Justified. He is a fascinating character in the dystopian world and even as an actor in the extended flashbacks.

The action sequences are gratuitously violent with body parts flying in slow-motion across the screen. I read this is a creative aesthetic from the game so fan boys will get a hoot. Me, I didn’t know this is a game and I watch this from the eyes of someone who digs clever storytelling and it was such fun watching how everything unfolds. The show cleverly digs holes in the plot but fills them up as it progresses to a rousing finale. Some questions are answered, but most aren’t which served to whet my appetite for S2. (4/5)

I was 12 years old when I was totally hooked on the mini-series Shōgun (1980). I remember being hypnotised by the classic story of a clash of cultures and a fish out of water narrative, and I would be lying if I wasn’t captivated by the budding love story. I owned the DVD but I have a feeling the show would feel dated if I watch it again, so I welcome this latest remake that is quite a masterpiece from start to finish.

Pilot Major John Blackthorne (Cosmos Jarvis) and what remains of his crew arrive in Japan in May 1600. The Pilot, whom the Japanese call ‘Anjin-san’, is thrust into a world of dangerous politics and intrigue between rival Japanese Warlords, the Regency, the Catholic Church, and the Empires of Spain and Portugal. With the help of a beautiful young lady, Lady Toda Mariko (Anna Sawai) he navigates the treacherous waters under the auspices of one of the most powerful men in the world, Yoshi Toranaga (Hiroyuki Toranaga).

You can at once see the love the creators have for this project, both behind and in front of the camera. The attention to details, the set designs, the costumes, the writing, the acting, all on a level that screams epic. If memory serves me right, this remake has a more complex story than the original mini-series. The inter-play between Blackthorne, Mariko and Toranaga is gorgeous, the ebb and the flow between them is a thing of beauty. The writing and delivery has a cadence like nothing I have seen for a long time. Words are double-entendres, carry an invisible knife-edge, all delivered in polite manner like a chess game between two masters of the game.

Ep9 has to be the finest hour of television this year bar none. This was when I learned life has meaning because we can die and even in death your life has purpose. It was a feast for the senses with the writing and action up the wall, real ballsy stuff. At one point my mind was screaming “noooo… don’t let it happen” and then a sense of relief washed over me. Soon the unthinkable happens and my heart sank to the pits, but yet I felt the poetry in motion.

One more episode to go and I thought the finale is going to up the ante. I mean, that’s what Hollywood does right? The bombastic action-filled finale is a must right? Nope, the writers did something that completely surprised me in a good way. It ends on a philosophical tone with closures to every character arc. The big battle was fought in the mind, heart and soul. It was an audacious ending and it hit me in the feels, but I have to confess that it didn’t sit down well with me the moment it ended probably because I was weaned on the typical final flourish of Hollywood fare. I also have another issue with the ending in that Toranaga is too much of an omniscient presence and his ability to work out all the permutations from a single play feels like a superpower, but then again his uncanny ability was established from the onset. I guess I will have to live with that. This is the second masterpiece on television this year. (4.5/5)

Sometimes there are movies that I feel compelled to write about, not so much because they are good or I want to recommend them but because they won’t let me go. They trap me in a stranglehold and I begin to see re-enactments of scenes in real life. Sometimes, in the deep of the night, when sleep is elusive, these stories will start to invade my consciousness. I am going to start with two in this category. Hopefully, I will be free of them after that.

A Woman After a Killer Butterfly (1978) is one of weirdest movies I have seen, albeit a good type of weird. I love telling people the opening premise: a dour looking young man is on an excursion with his bubbly friends. His body is there but his soul is far away. A butterfly flies by and he chases after it. He is a long way away from his friends when he catches the butterfly. The dude comes prepared as he takes out a syringe and injects the butterfly killing it. “Why did you have to kill it,” asks a pretty a girl who is at the park for a picnic by her lonesome. “What’s it to you that I kill it” comes the reply. Girl then says she love butterflies and as if to demonstrate her affinity to the insect she shows him her exquisite butterfly necklace. She then opens a bottle of orange fizzy drink and pours into two cups. She invites the man to have a drink with her. He doesn’t refuse, why would he, and starts to get comfy next to her. Before long she starts choking and in her dying breath she says, “I’m so sorry to tell you that the drink is poisoned. I wanted to die today but didn’t want to die alone.” She then dies. The man struggles to stay alive and wakes up in a hospital with the police around him. They assure the young man he is in the clear and the inspector gifts the man the butterfly necklace as a memento of the experience. From this point onwards, I have no idea how to write the plot but let’s just say he will meet a book salesman who can never die because he believes in the will to live, a 2000-year-old woman whom he will make whoopie to and a professor who is into skulls and his daughter who is related to the woman who killed herself.

I saw this alone because I know Choo can only take movies where the big picture is as clear as day. I find the movie very adventurous and has a mysterious life of its own. There is a central mystery about bodies missing their heads to keep one intrigued, but this wasn’t the thing that kept my eyes glued to the screen; it was watching what Kim Ki-young (The Housemaid) kept throwing into the mix which is already filled to the brim with macabre oddities. And it’s funny and the funniest scene for me has to be the scene the man brings back a contraption that makes flat dough. The 2000-year-old pretty woman asks what it’s for and he replies he plans to earn some money with it. He switches on the machine and they have a romp on the bed and all that time the contraption makes roti prata like dough with a loud pop and flings the flat dough all over the room and sometimes at their bodies enmeshed in throes of pleasure. I laughed like a lark and it’s a scene I have never seen in all my years of watching movies.

I saw the ending coming and gave myself a pat on the back. Then it goes into a cop out ending that I didn’t see coming. I wasn’t pissed off, how can I be after 2 hours of inventive craziness with characters acting all so serious. Before you start to dismiss the movie you must know Park Chan-Wook (OldBoy) and Bong Joon Ho (Parasite) listed this as a major influence for them. I learned from a friend that Park went on to pay homage to this movie in his masterpiece OldBoy. Pay close attention to the wallpaper in the man’s room and the purple box. I can’t say I will ever see this curiosity again but I am glad I saw it once. Oh man… those explosions as flying dough smack onto the couple’s naked bodies in the throes of passion! I love it! (3.5/5)

Possession (1981) is about a woman named Anna (Isabelle Adjani) who starts exhibiting increasingly disturbing behavior after asking her husband Mark (Sam Neill) for a divorce. Suspicions of infidelity soon give way to something much more sinister.

My friend described the movie in one adjective – intense; he wasn’t kidding. I was totally stressed out with what was happening on the screen. I used to think the husband-and-wife quarrelling long take scene in A Marriage Story is visceral and searing. Compared to the numerous scenes Mark and Anna are at it in Possession, the one in A Marriage Story is kids’ stuff. Here, when Mark and Anna are fighting you have a strong feeling it will erupt into violence and death isn’t far off. Just watch the scene of Anna using a motorised knife to cut bloody meat while Mark goes off into one of his crazy rants. Unconsciously, I brought the pillow up to just below my eyeballs. Choo begged me to turn down the volume because she could feel herself going nuts and I obliged.

This is one demanding film, a movie of sheer chaos like finding yourself in the eye of the hurricane or the centre of a maelstrom. You are helpless as you watch all the chaos unfolding but you can’t avert your eyes because it has to mean something, right? Writer-director Andrzei Zulawski is the mad maestro of terror with Sam Neill and Isabelle Adjani turning in career best performances. This is a pair of fearless performances. Yes, the acting can be OTT, hammy and B-grade, but they refused to be pigeonholed and it’s almost like if the acting is going to be OTT, hammy and B-grade they are going to be the absolute pinnacle in that category. I was completely mesmerised by Adjani who has to be one of the most beautiful actresses I have seen. Even when she is consumed by madness I dare you to not find her alluring.

It is difficult to categorise Possession and I feel it probably defies simple categorisation. It’s like watching David Lynch’s Eraserhead and in the end it is a helluva experience that refuses to be summarised in a few mere sentences. A small part of me sees it as a love story because of the extreme they go for each other in the end. In marriage vows we say words like “to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until parted by death” but how many live by these words to the letter? Mark and Anna did. (4/5)

If you are a serious cinema aficionado, the above two movies are essential watches. But I am not responsible for your well-being if you are disturbed and troubled by them. Next is something easy…

The Fall Guy (2024) is the first blockbuster of year. It is also a love letter to stunt men, the unsung heroes of movie magic. I was a big fan of the Lee Majors’ (Six Million Dollar Man) TV series The Fall Guy that ran from 1981-86 so it’s great to see ex-stunt man David Leitch borrows major characters from the TV series for a brand new story.

After being gravely injured, a stuntman named Colt Seavers (Ryan Gosling) tries to win back his ex, a movie director named Jody Moreno (Emily Blunt), by finding the star of her mega-budget action movie, who’s gone missing after falling in with a dangerous crowd.

Leitch and his team has set up some eye-popping action set-pieces. My favourite has to be the fisticuff on the back of a truck while being dragged all over the busy streets of Sydney and all that time the action is scored to Phil Collins’ In the Air Tonight while also juxtaposing with Jody singing the same song in a karaoke. They say casting is everything in the success of a movie, then this movie demonstrated this point precisely. The chemistry between Gosling and Blunt is so palpable and the movie soar on the air of their electric chemistry.

The missteps for me is the movie has no reason being over 2 hours. In fact it takes a good 45 minutes for the main plot to take shape and it overstays its welcome quite fast. For a movie as an ode to stunt men and women, the set-pieces get more and more outrageous and towards in the end I felt a bit numb with all the onscreen mayhem. Still, after that two crazy movies I saw in the week I was so glad to end the week with The Fall Guy, an easy peasy fun movie that never takes itself seriously. (3.5/5)