Share your 4K / 8K screenshots

As our mobile phone camera system gets more sophisticated and performance almost on par with a good DSLR pro camera, we can expect more stellar photographic images in the coming years. For starters, the new iPhone 12 Pro series even comes with HLG video captures. Hybrid-Log Gamma is another form of HDR used mostly in broadcast media. Many Youtube creators are now using HLG format to capture their clips in 4K HDR glory. The advancement in the quality of CMOS in a mobile solution is very encouraging and to encourage more people to use their camera more often, this topic is created for you to capture those brilliant 4K UHD scenes to showcase the prowess of 4K HDR when done right…To start the ball rolling, here are some of my screen grabs captured using Google Pixel 4a (an entry level Pixel phone which had taken the mobile community by storm).

Note: The images have been compressed for ease of uploading and also to cut down on loading times.

Rec 709 / 8-bit / Source Zidoo Z9X

ICtPt BT2100 / 10-bit - using Dolby’s VS10 engine / Source: Zidoo Z9X

Rec 709 / 8-bit / Source: Zidoo Z9X

Personally, I prefer the REC 709 images…the BT2020s’ are too saturated!

1 Like

Francis , I concur. I personally prefer the colours on rec709. They look more natural. The other one has a bit of reddish look on the skin, the camel’s fur looks nicer and more natural from the pic on rec709

I suspect the colour points for red relative to the white point is different. I’m not sure but I’m seeing this with a lot of dolby vision and LLDV content

I always go back to rec709, even on the display, I calibrate everything to rec709, despite the Display being capable of full dci-p3 colours

Calibration of BT709 is always the easiest :slight_smile: HDR is a bit of hit-or-miss because of the DTM. Hence whatever you calibrated on a calibration disc, the contrast will do “dynamic” because of DTM which makes it hard to say whether a display is good in HDR presentation.

So far I have noticed the tone mapping on the Xbox series x looks very promising . Seems to be working correctly , much more accurate colours , brightness and contrast very well balanced … now working towards optimising for the best experience

Awesome Desray, thanks for sharing as usual.

We need a good and affordable source with DTM. Just read that the panasonic UB players only apply the DTM to 4k HDR disc, meaning cannot work for streaming or mkv files?

It’s quite mind boggling that the Oppo 205 being so so many years old and yet is still the benchmark today. At the rate of technological advancements today, this is quite inconceivable…

If the new PS5 or Xbox can do it would be great… Or just a matter of time before the next gen of zidoo cracks this DTM in player source… …