Oppo 203/205 4K UHD Universal Bluray Player

This Oppo 205 player is one heck of player. Just plays anything I throw at it.

I use it for bluray disk movies, playback bluray through USB , tone mapping, crowsons actuator , music CD, 2 channel stereo and recently just found out I could use mConnect through UPnP for tidal playback

Simple steps

1. Download the mConnect Lite( free version) from AppStore. There is also a paid version . I downloaded lite version to test

2. Turn on network discovery on the Oppo

1. Go in to the app

2. You will see your Oppo player (under playto)

1. Log in to tidal on mConnect and Cast it to your Oppo and hit play. You can now control tidal from your mobile

2. It allows for bass management, so you can also use 2.1 for subwoofers with music

DOWNSIDE…

1. This approach though convenient, doesn’t yield the best audio quality

2. Connecting through the Oppo USB ports, are far superior, but that option lacks bass management. Meaning you can’t play music with subwoofers, only full range . Those who have demoed the set up recently, understood the difference of using subwoofers with music

3. The next alternative then, is to use hdmi input through a laptop to the Oppo 205.This seem to be the best option for me now, as this approach allows for bass management 2.1 with music on tidal master. The quality of music is far superior to the mConnect casting approach above in every department, be it bass or clarity, it sounded way better using hdmi. Though i must stress it also depends on the laptop if it’s clean and not as noisy

Here is something new I have discovered, thanks to another member who shared his experience with me recently after the demo

In our connection to the Oppo 205, there are options for wired Ethernet or wireless.

If you are using the Oppo 205 for music through the Sabre dacs vide its USB ports through a hard disk, you might want to consider switching to a wireless connection

From what I have discovered, wireless sounds nicer, way way nicer. When you connect a wired Ethernet cable, there will be phase noise being introduced to the signal.

Turning off wireless all together doesn’t make any difference. Perhaps the equipment is able to filter out radio waves

Another video from hans, that explains that

I didn’t really believe it will make that much of a difference, until I tried it. Hear it for yourself, it’s a 5 mins process. Unplug the Ethernet and go wireless, listen. Plug in the Ethernet and compare. If you don’t hear any difference whatsoever, stick to whichever method works best for u. Personally I found that the wireless option brought about a very nice improvement to the sound quality when listening to music in stereo

The only reason I need the Oppo connected to the network is to access the music library through the Oppo app. Doing it this way, eliminates the need to turn on the projector when listening to music. I like listening to music in a dark environment with video turned off

U can download the Oppo app from the App Store

Next to set these as follows:

Try around… see if u find any benefits :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. These minor tweaks helps

Above all, relax and enjoy the music .

Here is an interesting video from AMIR, founder of ASR. They have their own channel now

Probably worth the time going through these videos, lotsa stuff to learn. But sometimes can get really boring

This so-called Chris Connaker is constantly challenged by many in the audiophile industry. I dunno him whether he knows his stuff or just churning out his own opinions…one thing for certain, Amir is definitely NOT the first and won’t be the last. LoL

This clip has the MQA forum participants challenging him when he claimed that MQA is not truly a bit-for-bit studio transfer etc.

Lol

This is a “little hack” for those who are still using Oppo 203/205 as their main media player. The emphasis here is “media” playback, not playback of 4K bluray disc. Some of us might have experienced “no Dolby Atmos” sound when you try to playback either mkv, ts, mp4 or m2ts content with Dolby Atmos sound track. The reason why Dolby Atmos track cannot be played is due to the chip failed to capture the “AC3” flag. As some of you might have guessed the solution is to activate a placeholder file in formats like mkv, m2ts, ts or mp4 to “trigger” the AC3 flag.

I have created a very small AC3 placeholder file which I saved as .mp4 format to help you “trigger” that elusive “AC3” flag. I know this is not a good solution but a solution nonetheless. The file size is a mere 92kb. All you need to do is to drop this “AC3 Activate.mp4” file into the folder that houses your video content. Activate this little file (just 5 secs), it will “trigger” the AC3 flag and you can now playback content with Dolby Atmos. Just remember to click on this little placeholder file whenever you switch to a different media format - e.g. from mkv to m2ts or vice versa.

Download link for the placeholder - AC3 Activate.mp4

2 Likes

Thks for this “Little File”

Ya awesome trick!

I do that all the time, so the demo tracks that I have ripped will always have a dd file in it as sound track 2… just for the sake of switching to dd and then switching back…

i have just basically moved all DTS files to another folder… with the new 1.2tb demo files, they were all jumbled up… so in between we have dtsX and atmos files and DTS_HD MA… suddenly oppo goes silent… so i thought best cut out all DTS tracks into a separate folder and play only the dolby files… then switch over to all dts files when atmos demo is complete… a lot more convenient… otherwise every now and then have to keep using the AC3 file to trigger the atmos or dts track…

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I would do if I have the time.

1 Like