New firmware update rolling out for Denon & Marantz AVR with DTS: X Pro!

Easiest tell tale sign is to hit the Movie sound mode ( green button on your remote) and see if you can spot the words, Dolby Audio.

1 Like

thank you for this - I can see this option when I am playing 5.1 DD+ Netflix titles using the Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019.

1 Like

A few of use denon x3600 users have also noticed a somewhat more distinct atmos heights stage and panning after the new firmware upgrade.

Iā€™m just wondering, what could be the reason for this difference or improvement in atmos object decoding? Was this specified or mentioned anywhere in the firmware change notes or Denon announcements?

AFAIK no announcement or mentioned in changelogs. I believe they did something with the DTS X Pro and the virtualizer which have some interconnectivity with the height channels. I suppose this might be the case.

1 Like

Hi,
Iā€™m new here but I came here in search of this very question as every search told me about upgrades to the 8500 but nowhere told me the codes to confirm if I had got it - so thanks

Apart from finding the codes under info, I am not able to check in practice because I am in the process of upgrading my Cinema Room from basic 7.1 not to mention having to repair my PJ which decided to loose itā€™s EHT so for the moment I am concentrating on the best Speaker Placement - which to say the least - I am finding very confusing.

I want to adopt the best universal layout I can so that Auro works OK but I read there is conflict with Atmos speaker requirements and Iā€™m confused about Auroā€™s 3 level speaker system which suggests height speakers shouldnā€™t be on the ceiling - but then I read that heights should be as close to the ceiling as possible ???

Anyway I am looking forward to finding how other 8500 users have arranged speakers and if they are happy with the results

Regards to All

Welcome to AV Discourse. To answer your question, may I ask what kind of speaker layout you are currently having? 7.1.4, 7.1.6 etcā€¦

For Auro 3D, the speaker layout is fairly simple, just imagine a ā€œphantomā€ set of speakers being elevated for all base channels - i.e. 7.0 or 5.0 (omitted the .1 as that represents subwoofer in HT). The only ceiling speaker that Auro advocated will be the VOG or ā€œVoice of Godā€ channel, located just right above where you sit. And yes, certain Auro 3D layout will not be able to be implemented if certain kind of speaker layouts are being used. To really truly know what works for you, you can play with the Speaker Layout settings in the X8500H menu and while you cycle through it, you can choose the best layout to accommodate both Dolby Atmos speaker layout. An additional tip is that if you ever get confused how you going to connect those speaker wires to conform to the final speaker layout that you have chosen, you can check out the Terminal config for the speaker layout, the diagram will show you how to do proper connection w/o guessing.

1 Like

Yes indeed, ā€œthereā€™s the rubā€ what kind of layout

I want to use the maximum number of 15 and I have seen a list in one of the Sound United training items which identifies common locations for all 3 surround modes - I am also aware of specific Angles related to the main listening position - which itself depends on room mode locations - - - -

So we measure the Room to determine where to put the Seat - We check all the Angles to see where speakers should ideally go ( if nothing is in the way ) - And then we have to Mount the Speakers for Ear Level and for Height ( but maybe Not Too High ? ) and then Mount the Ceiling Speakers - And then Try it Out - - ā€™

So If Iā€™m not very careful my Room could end up by resembling a Swiss Cheese from the large number of surplus mounting holes

As I said - Iā€™m Confused and looking for guidance by way of comments from any contented Home Theatre users who are happy with their chosen Speaker Layout

I for one, not using the Auro 3D layout simply because of the dearth of Auto 3D content. However Auro 3D does have its edge in some content - e.g. movies with a lot of ambience. Auro 3D sounded very convincing. While that may be the case, I also discovered that Dolby Atmos and DTS X can do equally well too. Sometimes less is moreā€¦for me, the size of the room dictates how many speakers you should place. My media room isnā€™t big, it is a 4m x 4m (square room) and 7.2.4 is just nice for me. Placement of the speakers is everything. In my opinion, the layout of the speakers - be it from Dolby or Auto 3D (DTS is more flexible when it comes to placement of her DTS:X) is but just a guideline. The underlying fundamentals for home theatre speaker layout still remains pretty much the same - i.e. to get ā€œsurround soundā€, you need to sit inside the sound bubble (L, C, R, Surr, Surr Back).

After the upgrade, the little thing of hitting the Green button (Movie) in order to get Atmos decode is starting to get irritating.:grin:

Happens only on the UB820. For Xbox one x, only have to hit the button once initially and it will stay. For Zidoo UHD2000, some files still need to

Previous we heard the news that Onkyo was running into financial problems

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/1eb1381db891e5b2e670cee2b063f4be2ba4a2e8

(In Japanese probably hit translate button with chrome.)

Then we see now , Denon/Marantz to the rescue

This deal revived?
I thought Sound United announce termination of the deal end 2019.

Good observations bro

Just realised the news article is dated 2019!

That means no rescue for Onkyo ā€¦

Ok this one now is ā€¦. To the rescue for Onkyo

Itā€™s just a LOIā€¦not really legally binding at this stage. Like the bailout of Hyflux by many conglomerates from middle east and Indonesia and then back out interest after finding it not suitable. But it is a good start nonetheless for Onkyo. Iā€™m surprised Yamaha or D&M did not offer to take over Onkyo which is also a Jap firm in AV industry.

Hopefully something happens for them soonā€¦ all the best to the Onkyo lovers, I also read somewhere Dirac was coming to Onkyo processorsā€¦ but looks like unless they are able to survive this round, thatā€™s not gonna be happeningā€¦.

It feels like the AVR market is being squeezed by the entry level ranges like Denon S750, 7.2 rangeā€¦ And the 16 channel processor rangeā€¦

People who use to look at the 4xxx or 6xxx denon range are now looking for 16ch processors.

While those looking to get started and not well informed will likely be sold something like the 7.2 S750 rather than the X3700 which is fully capable processing 7.x.4ā€¦

The market is ultra competitive with razer thin margins. Just large enough to be able to support so many brand with so many models in each rangeā€¦

Not to mention the sound barsā€¦

And while we are at it, Iā€™m puzzled by the lack of progress of WISAā€¦ Seems a great idea but the entire ecosystem seems stillborn at this timeā€¦

Everything comes to a halt when the pandemic hit globally almost 1.5yrs ago and now 3rd wave in some nations with India being the hardest hit. I really sympathise the people. Being the country that manufacture first batch of vaccines but not enough to around for the natives. The population is just too dense and the new variant spread super fast.

If Iā€™m the CEO of a tech or AV company, Iā€™ll probably delay all new launches or make any product announcements as this is not the right time. Iā€™m pretty sure there are many new gadgets to showcase and even ready to roll out or else why every year has CE show at the start of the year. But since the pandemic, no more show or either that move on to virtual space like Apple and Samsung but the ability to introduces more products will be limited by the air time.

Not sure how long is this pandemic going to last and there are so many uncertainties. A brand has to launch their product or hold a their shows virtually in order to continue to have a presence in the market. Leveraging on technology, the most agile and adaptabLe will survive.

Its not going to be over anytime soon. Just see the latest news on heightened alert starting from 16 May (Sun) to 13 Jun. This is no jokeā€¦local transmission is spreading and there are a few unlinked cases in the community and this is worrying.

Hello friends,
Is there a thread for Denon AVR-X8500H? Have recently upgraded from 7200W and have some questions related to AMP ASSIGN and PREAMP mode. Thanks.
Ajit

1 Like