*Official Thread* Anthem AVM 70 & 90 and MRX 540, 740 & 1140

I’m not following the AVM 70/90 thread but rather the MRX x40 series thread. Knowing Anthem, I know they will follow up and eventually resolve it as long as there is an outcry or demand for a fix. They do roll out several beta firmware for users to try but as you said, haven’t see light at the end of the tunnel.

FWIW if this “downsampling” issue is plagued the AVM 70/90, I would expect the same issue for the MRX as well since this is software decoding rather than the hardware - e.g. sabre chip vs say AKM chip. And yes, I won’t deny that Anthem needs to quickly resolve it as more users clamouring for a fix for such an expensive AV amp.

Finally…after nearly 8 months of agonizing wait. My Anthem MRX 1140 has finally made it to our little island. It is time to offload my Denon AVC-8500H. Thanks to Arvind from 1877 in helping to secure a unit for me.

2 Likes

That’s a long wait!
Will you be posting a review on this?

There have been reports of noisy fan and some ARC calibration bugs etc. I will have to go through the entire process myself to know whether the bugs are just annoyances or a “real” showstopper. The review will come at a later stage. These days, I’m overwhelmed with my work (main job) as such you won’t see me posting as much as I used to. I will come in once in a while to post. I’ll let members take the lead in carrying out the discussion.

Congrats! Hope to hear your review soon!

Just collected from the shop…no time to setup and play. Tmr still need to work. :frowning:

The MSRP for the MRX1140 is $6.5K (incl of GST). Because I’m on pre-order, I enjoyed 10% discount off the MSRP. This AVR is even more expensive than my Denon AVC-X8500H !!! :roll_eyes: All Anthem sold here comes with 2 years local warranty. ::slight_smile:

Anthem only shipped out one model each for the 3 MRX AV Receivers - I took the MRX 1140 and still have one stock each for 740 and 540. But I believe all are pre-order, meaning already have buyer.

It’s like Christmas… Enjoy your new toy… :wink:

Can’t wait for your review. Enjoy your new toy.

Enjoy your new toy hehe

Hope that it will perform much better than the x8500h for u given that its higher price point and better room eq :slight_smile:

Thanks. For those who are not aware, I’ve praised Anthem MRX 1120 in the past for its sound signature.

And also sing praises of ARC too

Images from my unboxing

Took about 10mins to update the firmware. This is by far the most confusing firmware-cum-software updates rolled-into-one. I’ll explain in the near future why Anthem’s firmware and software updates are so confusing for most users.

Tmr I will start the ARC calibration…so far there is no issue with the rumoured “noisy fan” as far as I can tell.

Chio man.

Looks very good!! Congrats on your toy ! Enjoy the journey !

Completed all my calibrations today and `in a very brief summary, it sounded everything I had wished for. Once again, Anthem did not disappoint. Is this the best AV Receiver in the market right now? Nope…I believe Trinnov Altitude is still the king imo. But Anthem can rival some of the big-muscled powerhouse like Lyngdorf RoomPerfect EQ and Dirac Live EQ. Audyssey XT32 is good for those who is into tinkering on all things calibrations, ranging from miniDSP, REW so on and forth but Anthem ARC is totally another level altogether.

Due to my hectic work schedule these days, I no longer have the luxury to really sit down for a half a day to finish up an article. I will try something different this time. Instead of coming up with a whole article, I will slowly release topic of interest every 2 - 3 days focusing on what I think is unique in its strength and why it is able to deliver something truly amazing in sound quality. Unlike Audyssey, Anthem uses its proprietary ARC Genesis calibration s/w to calibrate the speaker array including the subwoofers. Existing Anthem users should already know that Anthem ARC does not compute distances and as such, you will need to do some time alignment to get the subwoofers and the mains in phase. This is something that really needs some time to work on and I really mean “ample” time to play around. If you already owned a miniDSP and is proficient in the use of Room EQ Wizard (REW) + UMik 1, then doing time alignment should be relatively easy but if you are like me, which does not have a miniDSP (sold a long time ago), you will still need REW + UMik 1 to work on it.

There are many things to share for this new iteration of the Anthem MRX series (Gen 4).

More to come tmr…Stay tuned.

1 Like

Let’s start with something different this time. Instead of going straight to the features and what I liked about it…let us face it head-on what I disliked about this AVR. Let’s get rid of the elephant in the room for a change and I will also take this opportunity to address or rather debunk some of the rumors and some of the burning questions in everyone’s mind pertaining to the new Anthem MRX series. I will do this in a question-and-answer format.

TOP 10 QUESTIONS

#Q1: How come there is so little buzz or review on the new Anthem MRX series?
There is a worldwide shortage in chipsets and this not only affects the PC and other electronic gadgets like Apple products and electric car makers like Tesla, but it also affects home audio-visual makers like D&M, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer, and Anthem is no exception. I have read that Anthem has had just managed to clear their backlog orders in Mar this year. The backlogs were as far back as Nov last year. Hence my MRX 1140 unit is considered a “new” order. The fact that Anthem is rushing to fulfill the backlogs, there isn’t any demo sets lying around in the warehouses to be sent to reviewers for review. You should be seeing more reviews coming soon. Case in point, AVForum (UK) just released their review: https://www.avforums.com/reviews/anthem-mrx-740-av-receiver-review.18921

#Q2: I heard a lot of negative buzz surrounding the new MRX and AVM series, ranging from “noisy fans” to buggy software. Is this true?
In short, yes, all are true. For the “noisy fans”, only a handful of users are experiencing it and it only happened after a firmware upgrade. For me, I did not experience it myself even though I am on the latest firmware. Anthem technical team reason for the fan going at full blast is to dissipate heat and prolong the lifespan of the AVR but many didn’t buy the reasons as the AVR itself did not run very hot and I can attest to that, it is barely warm to the touch during normal operations UNLESS you are performing many rounds of Anthem ARC calibration which utilize a lot of on-board CPU resources which will ultimately put stress on the AVR. For the Anthem ARC Genesis calibration software, it is STILL at a beta stage, meaning Anthem hasn’t rolled it out as an official (bug-free) software to say the least. However, it DOES NOT mean it is unusable. At the time of this writing, the latest beta version (1.5.4) has had resolved most of the bugs - e.g. unusually high trim level (gains) on every channel. Some users have argued that it was the “new” silver calibration mic that was the cause of these inaccurate readings. I believe this could be the case since some users have resort to the old mic from the previous generation and the trim levels are “normalized” but we have yet to receive a confirmation on this “mic bug” from Anthem. In summary, the latest beta version has resolved all the major calibration bug woes and I am expecting an official release of a more stable ARC Genesis calibration software coming soon.

#Q3: I read that there is still no Roon and Spotify Connect?
According to Anthem, they are still in the midst of finalizing the licensing details with Roon and we should expect it to be ready soon. For Spotify Connect, I have no idea what’s holding Anthem back.

#Q4: What are some of the cons of the new MRX series?
Actually, I only have one complaint and it is not something new. I have been clamoring for the addition of a phase adjustment feature for Anthem MRX AVR since the last generation. To my dismay, the new Anthem MRX 1140 still omit this critical feature which ONLY existed in their STR integrated Amplifier series. The importance of getting a proper time alignment between the main speakers and the subwoofers could not be over-emphasized here. Just like the previous generation, one will need to input the distance (or delay in acoustic terms) for the subwoofers. As a rule of thumb, the distance will need to be key into the setting by the user and unlike speakers where physical distance is all it takes but for subwoofers, we need to know the “acoustical distance” so as to get the subwoofers to be “in-phase” with the mains at the correct crossover settings. It is NOT that Anthem does not have such a feature, it has in the menu the Phase Frequency built-in but it is not enabled. The STR integrated amplifier comes with an auto phase control feature and here’s hoping that it can be implemented via firmware. Fingers-crossed. Long story short, users will need to use third-party apps like Room EQ Wizard (REW) + UMik 1 to get a good reading of the distance (or delay in ms) to be applied to the setting for your subwoofers if you want optimum integration between your mains and subwoofers. But even without providing a more accurate distance, ARC Genesis is already very capable of correcting the domain frequency range and resolve those peaks and valleys to give you a smoother frequency response.

#Q5: You say it can rival some of the “big powerhouse” like Lyngdorf’s RoomPerfect EQ? Are you being hyperbolic with your claims here?
Let me clarify before I am swarmed with attacks. I am talking in terms of the “value-to-performance” ratio here. Trinnov and Lyngdorf’s AV processors are some of the best in the AV community and the results speak for themselves in numerous reviews and that is a fact that I cannot deny. However, it also cost a bomb as well…My argument here is that Anthem ARC can “rival” some of the powerhouses when it comes to its features like the ability to dedicate various profiles for a more personalized listening experience. A new Anthem MRX costs nearly half the retail price of a Lyngdorf AV processor but can still hold its own if you have a good setup - i.e. proper placement of your speakers and subwoofers, MLP, and room treatment. Remember EQ can only do so much to help elevate your listening experience regardless of the amount you spent on your AV gears. Anthem MRX series is able to deliver an equally good and engaging home theater listening experience but at a more reasonable price.

#Q6: How much is the cost of upgrading to HDMI 2.1?
According to some forums, it is about a US$500 upgrade as it needs to change the entire HDMI board. Unless you are a hardcore gamer and crazy about 8K, I do not see the need to rush and upgrade to HDMI 2.1 any time soon. Based on Anthem’s product lifecycle, this new MRX AVR will last about 4 - 5 yrs. It is good to know that there is an option to upgrade the HDMI board in due course if there is a need.

#Q7: Between Audyssey XT32 and Anthem ARC, which one is better?
Sound is subjective, what sounds good to me may be mediocre to you. Apart from the omission of the auto phase adjustment feature which I have mentioned earlier, Anthem ARC is indeed more superior to Audyssey XT32 in every way, from implementation to features and of course, the sound quality at the end of the day. Anthem ARC is far superior when it comes to correcting each individual speaker frequency and able to determine each crossover point with more precision (IMO) compared to Audyssey’s stock crossover settings. Anthem’s execution is pretty much like Dirac but it makes implementation much more user-friendly and makes you want to “tweak” more since the user interface is very user-friendly to use and changes can be easily uploaded to the AVR in a matter of seconds.

#Q8: Is Anthem MRX or AVM series any good for hi-fi listening?
In fact, Anthem’s strength is in the reproduction of music. Hi-fi lovers will love it!

#9: Speaking of music, what is the DAC used in the MRX and AVM series?
Based on Anthem’s whitepapers, it is using the same AKM chipset AK4458VN found in the discontinued Oppo BDP-203/205 4K UHD universal players. And yes, it is an older chipset but this chipset has been touted as one of the musically sounding ones despite it is almost 6 yrs!

#10: Where can I get my hands on the new Anthem MRX or AVM series in Singapore?
The Experts Group is officially appointed as the main distributor here in Singapore. Stock is scarce and in limited quantity due to the global shortage in chipsets (as mentioned earlier), you may want to check with them or get in touch with Arvind from 1877 located at Adelphi.

1 Like

Very nice Q&A style! Enjoy reading it, straight to the point :+1:t2::+1:t2:

Thumbs up as always

Thanks for sharing your review desray! :+1:

The main review has yet to come (no time to do). This is a prelude focusing mainly in answering some of the burning questions that everyone has. I thought a Q&A style might be a good idea.

In the past, I am able to come up with a full review of the product in a day when work is not so hectic back then. But now assuming more responsibility, I find it harder to do so. My review moving forward will be like “episodes in a mini series like Disney Plus instead of a full season like Netflix”.

1 Like

Anthem’s latest firmware fixed the “noisy fan” issue and also changed the way updates will be delivered. In the past, when one checked beta firmware, it will automatically install the beta firmware and many users complained about the newer beta caused their previous readings to be over-written. Anthem is giving users more control on how they receive future updates. Here’s the changelogs for the latest firmware.

Release: 00.61
Network Module Version: 1.103.133

• Changed update procedure. Now Network Module firmware will update in the background and the host firmware will only update after you “Check for Updates” or if you have automatic updates turned on.
  • “Check for Updates” will now cycle through all firmware versions to make sure units are up-to-date.
  • Addressed a popping issue some people were experiencing with cable boxes
  • Addressed a fan issue that caused some fans to turn on immediately
  • If “HDMI Audio To TV” is On and “CEC Control” is On, Fixed an issue with no sound coming out of the speaker.
  • Fixed a bug that did not apply immediately when changing the Speaker Profile
  • Other minor bug fixes and improvements