OLED & LCD technologies discussion

Check out the new type of OLED. Micro Lens Array (MLA) OLED!

Helps OLED to meet the 1000nit mark easily. This is good news for consumers as we have more choices and it will help drive QD-OLED prices down.

Hdtvtest gives their thoughts in the below videos. Looks really PROMISING!

1 Like

My 2018 Panasonic OLED is so good that I will wait for 2,000 nit OLEDs before emptying out my CPF to buy a 77 inch

Some good info on MLA OLED from an interview with a Panasonic Japan representative.

Use google to translate.

Translation part 1:

Asakura: Thank you for your time today. I saw the Panasonic press conference from the front row, and the MZ2000 there was a wonderful image. It is said that it is excellent in pushing up white, and the image is clear anyway. Moreover, it is not dazzling, but has a sense of transparency and good omission. The image taken from the top of Hollywood also gave me the impression that the air was very clear. In particular, the reproduction of high-brightness areas has greatly evolved.

Anan: Thank you. As you may have heard, the MZ2000 panel itself has evolved significantly, and we have combined it with our own tuning to finish the product.

Asakura: It’s the META panel. I also interviewed LG Display, the developer manufacturer, and they said that the peak luminance of the panel itself can be reproduced up to 2000nits, so was there a big difference in image creation?

Anan: I think it’s a very big innovation. The increased brightness of the panel is also a big advantage for product development, so I would like to make sure that this advantage is fully emphasized.

Asakura: High brightness is a resource for image quality. High brightness not only makes the screen brighter, but also makes it possible to distribute it to color reproduction.

Anan: The dynamic range expands, so we can tune with plenty of room for various reproductions that our company excels at.

Asakura: You mentioned heat dissipation as another evolutionary point, and we’ve been working on this point for about five years.

Anan: In the successive 2000 series, we have achieved high brightness by developing a panel with a unique heat dissipation structure, so we are making use of that technology this time as well.

Asakura: So, could you tell us more about the technology that was newly installed in the MZ2000 series this time?

Shimizu: The panel this time is characterized by its high brightness, but in the case of a self-luminous panel, if it gets brighter, there will be a burn-in problem. This time as well, we went all the way into panel development to find out how to achieve both reduction of burn-in and high image quality.

We also paid attention to how the dark areas of the low gradation look. If you can get a faithful black, brighter white will come to life. In terms of image quality processing, we are focusing on how to take advantage of peaks and how to prevent burn-in, while also paying close attention to low-brightness areas.

Asakura: The news release says that a multi-layer structure was adopted for heat dissipation. What is this?

Shimizu: We have added a special heat dissipation sheet that we developed independently. This is also not adopted by other companies’ products using the same generation panel.

Asakura: You’ve used that kind of seat before, but does that mean the structure has evolved?

Shimizu: The cells of the organic EL panel have changed, so we are tuning accordingly. While producing the peak of the image, I create images while looking at the balance of how long it takes to achieve both high brightness and heat dissipation. Movies often have an APL (Average Luminance) of 30% or less, so in such cases, we created an image that emphasizes the peaks while not emphasizing the peaks so much in scenes with high APL.

Asakura: Has the average brightness of TVs increased as well?

Shimizu: Yes, the average brightness is a little higher.

Asakura: As you mentioned earlier, there aren’t many contents that display the peak luminance all the time, so I think the average luminance has a greater impact when we’re watching TV. Did the increase in average brightness change your image creation?

Shimizu: In the case of WRGB panels, if the screen is simply brightened, colors may be lost.

Anan: If you compare it with last year’s model, the difference in brightness is obvious.

Shimizu: As the blacks get tighter, the peaks appear, so as you said at the beginning, I feel that the video has a good outlook.

Since the Asakura 2000 series was introduced, the brightness has increased almost every year. However, personally, I think that the black reproducibility is gradually improving, and the gradation reproduction is also improved.

Shimizu: Thank you. We continue to brush up on the black side by pushing our own tuning.

Asakura: Speaking of VIERA, Hollywood’s image quality tuning is also a feature, but what has changed this time?

Shimizu: I’m asking the colorist Stefan Sonnenfeld again this time, but rather than high brightness, there are many points about the reproducibility and fidelity of blacks and colors, so I’m taking the stance of doing what I’ve created so far. developing.

Asakura: That said, it’s not like we do something that different every year. Are there fixed checkpoints?

Shimizu: Checkpoints are the same, so the difference from the previous year’s model and the improvement effect are recognized. I was told that the black and color reproduction was done properly, and that the added sparkle of the peak was good.

Asakura: It’s important not only to reproduce the black well, but also to have a peak. In that case, the MZ2000 has improved the way the peak stands, so there is no doubt that the overall impression and image quality have improved.

On the other hand, in terms of sound, last year’s LZ2000 was equipped with line array speakers and made a big evolution. What progress have you made this time?

Anan: Recently, I’ve heard that elderly people find it difficult to hear the TV sound. Also, since the coronavirus crisis, we are spending more time together as a family, so I would like to be a little more creative about how the TV sounds in the living room so as not to disturb other people.

Asakura: Were there any changes to the sound or functionality of the MZ2000?

Anan: In terms of functionality, we’ve devised sounds that are easy for game users to use and hear.

Asakura: When it comes to games, there are many proposals for no video or sound delay, but is there a sound suitable for games?

Anan: Optimal tuning is done according to the type of game. The reproduction is different between the mode that is used in a form that is used in the work like a role-playing game and the mode that requires sound as information like a shooting game.

Asakura: It’s about giving priority to the atmosphere of the sound or clear information. Until now, voice modes were mainly for dramas and music, but this time you are aiming for more active reproduction.

Anan: We have devised ways to enjoy the sound in a variety of usage scenarios.

Translation part 2:
Asakura: What caught my attention at this year’s CES was LG’s transparent display. As for transparent displays, Panasonic had an exhibit in the past at IFA where they made refrigerator doors transparent, but since then they have hardly been seen. What are your thoughts on that?

Anan: Our company also sells transparent displays in the commercial field. It seems that there are many uses such as office applications, and displaying information in front while showing exhibits in the back.

Asakura: Are you not thinking about developing it for home use?

Anan: It’s difficult to find a transparent display in the house. We are considering how to create a booth in the room and use the window as a TV, but I would like to think a little more about that.

Asakura: I think there is also a proposal for a house with a transparent display installed from the beginning together with Panasonic Homes.

Anan: It’s hard to imagine that a customer would buy a transparent display at a store and install it themselves, so I think that’s the way it will be.

Asakura: The same is true for transparent displays, but I think it will become important in the future to see how TVs can be naturally incorporated into interiors, rather than as stand-alone products.

In that sense, the wall-fit TV that Panasonic recently released is also a noteworthy item.

Anan: The customer reaction is very good. We are getting a lot of inquiries from people in the interior and housing industries. As a company, we believe that this product has great value, so we will carefully nurture it.

Asakura: At this year’s CES, there were fewer TVs on display, and I felt that the way TVs should be presented in lifestyles and interiors was changing.

Anan: This is also a self-denial as a TV manufacturer, but the TV has a strong presence in the living room, and while it is valuable when it is displaying images, it becomes a large black object when not in use. It is.

We are working on how to integrate this into our lives with the “Kurashi Style Series”, and we would like to deliver these proposals to new users.

Asakura: In a sense, you could say that it’s an ideal TV, where you can enjoy the best sense of immersion when it’s showing images, and it disappears when you’re not using it. It would be nice if the wall-mounted TV could be completely invisible when the power was turned off. A transparent TV is one such solution.

Anan: So you’re saying that TV doesn’t have a strong presence? Certainly, it seems to be an important cut in the future.

Asakura: Please let me see the MZ2000 video soon.

Anan: That’s correct. We will introduce demos one by one at this booth.

Kono: I’m Kono, and I’m in charge of overseas marketing. In this area, in addition to introducing the actual machine and explaining the new panel, we explain our thoughts on image quality.

The panel module we are using this time is called “Master OLED Ultimate” and has evolved further from last year’s “Master OLED Pro”. The most significant evolution is the adoption of a microlens array.

Asakura: So you mean LG Display’s 3rd generation panel that uses META technology? By placing a layer of micrometer-sized convex lenses on top of the organic EL layer, the light utilization efficiency is greatly improved. As for the structure of the panel, first there is the base, the organic EL layer is placed on it, and the microlens array is attached in front of it.

Kono: It’s shaped like a sheet, with fine lenses lined up. With this sheet, the light that has been inside until now is forced forward.

Regarding the heat dissipation mechanism of the panel, the number of metal plates has been increased by one since last year, and heat dissipation efficiency has been improved by sandwiching the original advanced heat management material between the two metal plates.

Asakura: You said that the video processor was the same, but with the evolution of the panel side, you were able to draw out more of the processor’s capabilities.

Kono: This is the luminance demo. Last year’s LZ2000 and this year’s MZ2000 are next to each other. What do you think?

Asakura: Your appearance has changed a lot. With the MZ2000, I feel that the images have become three-dimensional and rounded. The sparkle of light also comes out, and the details of the chandelier are fine. The clarity of each one is good. It also has a cool glow, which is nice.

Kono: At the same time as the brightness, the color reproducibility has also improved, so we have prepared content that shows that.

Asakura: Certainly not. The transparency of the color has come out and the roundness of the glass has come out.

Takagi: I’m Takagi, and I’m in charge of product planning. Here you can see the new video mode. This time, we have installed a mode called “True Game”, which is a game version of the conventional “Cinema Pro”. In particular, HDR games are devised so that they can be viewed at the highest quality, and HDR tone map processing is bypassed on the TV side.

In recent Xbox games, etc., the tone map processing is adjusted on the game console side, so there is also the aim of avoiding the screen turning black by applying it twice. Users don’t need to be aware of such things, just by selecting this mode, they can automatically enjoy the game with the optimal image quality.

As a maniac point, this mode can also be calibrated, and after adjusting the image quality with software called Calman, this logo will be displayed, but this is probably the first TV manufacturer to support it.

Asakura: Is calibration a process that matches the parameters of the original game?

Takagi: No, just like before, the sensor measures the signals coming in via HDMI to check if they are being played correctly, and it’s not linked to game consoles.

We have also acquired NVIDIA’s G-Sync Compatible certification when connected to a graphic game card. This is Panasonic’s first support. This allows the images to be displayed in sync even in games with high frame rates.

As for the sound quality, it is equipped with something that you can enjoy in the mode according to the genre of the game. Gamers use headsets, but we’ve done some processing to make it easier to hear those components even with the TV’s built-in speakers. For example, the mode for FPS (First Person Shooter) games adjusts the frequency to make it easier to hear where the footsteps are coming from.

Asakura: When do you think the Japanese version of the MZ2000 will be announced?

Anan: This time we are announcing a model for Europe, so we are still considering other countries.

Asakura: Is the lineup the same, with the 2000 series being the flagship and the 1000 series below it?

Anan: We are considering selling the same lineup as the current one in Europe.

Asakura: The LZ2000 series was highly rated in Japan, with the top model “TH-65LZ2000” winning the at the HiVi Grand Prix. How was the reputation overseas?

Anan: Thanks to you, the LZ2000 has won an award in a British magazine.

Asakura: The image quality of this year’s MZ2000 is even better, so I’m really looking forward to seeing what it will look like.

Anan: Yes, I would like you to look forward to it.

Philips unveils 2023 OLED TVs with up to 2100 nits (MLA)

Looks promising

Broadened the thread title to OLED technologies

Where did our 2000nits disappear to for the newer QD OLED panels rated 2000 nits? Manufacturer explains

Sony’s 2023 new TV line up

https://www.sony.eu/presscentre/news/sony-introduces-2023-bravia-xr-tv-line-up

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1677682801

Impt things to know on samsung new 2023 line up

Sony Unleash World’s 1st QD-OLED with 4K 120Hz Dolby Vision, But There’s No MLA

if i am not mistaken, only one model (A95L) has the “Pentonic 1000 SOC Chip” in this years Sony tv’s.
all the rest are rubbish offerings… might as well get last years models.

use the site above to check on every model, n u will see that its a Very Disappointing 2023 Sony line up…

I see. Could u elaborate with detail and share why do u say/feel so?

no pentonic chip (soc) in all except for A95L.

I see. But that’s only 1 factor out of the many “KPIs” for a tv.

Did u evaluate the improvements in implementation, color accuracy etc in the new line b4 concluding its Very Disappointing? If not, i don’t think its fair to generalise that the new sony 2023 line is Very Disappointing lei.

And Sony has been 1 of the best in color reproduction and picture implementation even though it has less hdmi 2.1 ports on their models.

It’s not that the pentonic chip is not beneficial/good. It is. But we also need to ask, how many % of users really need that chip for their use? One of the key things is 4k 120hz, which HT/normal users all likely dont need to use it unless u do gaming that has specific games that req that. If every new tv model came w that new chip, it may also drive the overall cost up for all other users who dont need it esp since it’s a fairly new chip.

“In addition, it has hardware decoding for the latest video formats including HEVC, AV1 and VVC (H.266).”

well, sony could have at least used the 2nd version of the pentonic chip with “4” HDMI 2.1 Ports instead of the 1st version with only “2” HDMI 2.1 Ports.
and also they could have used it in the “X95L” Miniled model too, instead of only the OLED “A95L”
if u got the money to spend. at least u have a choice between 2 flagships instead of 1, which is “OLED”
which is really not a good tech till today… (Forced Dimming of panel to prevent screen burn in after extended n prolonged usage)
i would rather get a “Mini LED” than a OLED.