Getting Good Bass for your Home Theater Setup

Hi Ronildoq, dont worry , I am here to support this forum .

To be frank , I did not use full range too even I tried and managed to get good punch . This is because I dont want to risk my speakers woofer . It may not able to take the torment from certain scenes even if I equip with high power amp .

I think to use it as full range is only ones really want the punch but cannot get from sub due to space contraints and etc so no choice to drive this route . Or wanted a full bodied sound from front speakers .

1 Like

ok here , lets take a typical example, since most of us live in HDB. Let’s assume the room is 4m x 4m x 2.4m

Lets just take a simple example above and assume the speakers run full range down to 30hz and you dont use a subwoofer.

The left/Right speakers are placed symmetrically in the room as you can see they form the triangle at 60 degrees at MLP. We cannot move these speakers, else we lose the stereo image. So to maintain that balance, we can only either move our MLP forward or backwards. But note that no matter how one moves the MLP, we cannot escape the standing waves. this is a typical example in any HDB room with concrete walls, we now have a big smiley face from 43hz down to 72hz, midbass is Non-Existent in this full range set up!

Note that ultimate goal for a good sounding system, does not lie just in the amplitude response alone, there are many other factors that i will cover later. But note that we want a smooth response in the bass region, so various content when played back, sounds smooth across the bass region. So for the sake of this discussion, we want to achieve a “perceived” flat target. Perceived doesnt mean ruler flat response, but rather one that has equal loudness at MLP from the range of the given frequencies.

Lets dive in deeper…

Like it or not, the room is part of the equation, what we hear, depends a lot on the room as well. The above shows

Axial ← standing waves between two walls, can be front back left right
Tangential ← standing waves between 4 walls, left right front back
Oblique ← standing waves between 6 walls, left right front back top bottom.

Now we all know, Killing the Axial Mode, takes care of the Tangential and Oblique modes at the same time in some way.

Running the speakers full range, you cannot move the speakers. You are now at the mercy of the room modes. Like it or not, you are stuck with these modes (see above sample). This is where you stop and go, ok nothing i can do, its the room. Heng Sway my room is like that. Suddenly one is demotivated.

WAIT… Hang on…

How about we use the speakers as small, and we send that bass frequencies below 100hz to the subwoofers. We can then play around with subwoofer placement. We are no longer restricted to that location where i need to maintain the stereo image

See what happens now,

Using a dual sub approach, lets say the subs dig down to 10hz, i place them at diagonal corners. Notice the Dip is still there at 100hz? But now i have the option to use my speakers in another position / move MLP forward backwards so that it doesnt have a dip at 100hz, but hey, i am getting very smooth response across from 20hz to 100hz. What looks like a bass suckout problem, is now resolved with utilising the subs. You are no longer at the mercy of the room.

Did it solve the problem? Yes it did! A suckout is a problem, and we need to fix it, else there is no bass at MLP

Do i need to dive in further? with Headroom, distortion ? i can break it down further. I back what i say with a scientific calculated approach. This is what the top guys are doing, be it the UK Integrators, the US Integrators, they are professionals, and i like to follow what they have done.

Of course we cannot stop someone to do anything they want to do, as we know, it is their equipment, their money, their effort. As much as i would like to say nobody can tell you how you should dial in the system, i personally, prefer to take the path where i have less problems to deal with, or to even begin with.

Yes we have helmhotz, tuned traps etc. Those are not cheap really. we can use pressure devices , as the square area goes up, the cost goes up as well. Why not use the subs to solve these pressure issues in the room? its already proven.

Imho, HT is just an entertainment , to entertain oneself and family . And we have been living in a world full of distorted bass , probably getting used to it by now. So I believe most of HT users after living with clean deep bass for a while , really miss the distorted bass again and hunting for it again .

Bro Jason, I only have one question for you…where have you been all these years? You have been very quiet in Xtremeplace forum for a very very long period. Its good to see you back in your chatty-self. :smile:

Hope to see more of your postings :slight_smile:

Bro Desray , I am still here . I believe it is normal and more healthy for a forum to go through new one in , old one quiet .

I still missed the old days when I first joined xtremeplace and introduced acoustic treatment , bass shaker and crowson tech to xtremeplace forumers to listen and try out . I was surprised no one did at that time. Now I am glad to see almost everyone know the importance and fun on these and even enhanced to another level .

See you started a new forum for Singapore HT lovers so support you .

3 Likes

Steady lar bro!

Interesting comment. Come to think of it, I do have a preference for the audio LCR soundstage to match the video canvas being presented at the front. Might be a reason why I went down this path too.

Hi bro boxerfan88 , have you consider adding mid bass module subs and put behind/front /side of your front speakers so you do not have to risk damaging its ?

This approach can also release some stress from your current poweramp and hence got more reserved power on the upper mid and highs?

Bro Jason, my LR is running full range, but C is crossed at 40Hz to the sub/bass-shaker.

My LR speakers are pretty sensitive (89dB). For HT, I set my integrated amp to class AB mode (rated at 200W in AB) therefore I think there should be sufficient amplifier headroom. My guess is that when it goes boom boom, it’s probably running in the 10W+ range. I don’t hear my speakers strain during the action packed scenes. I suppose the final safety net is that me and wifey prefer volume that is reasonably loud, but not super loud. Personally I prefer audio clarity, soundstage, crisp audio effects panning; rather than pure SPL.

I have thought about adding a second sub, but the physical constraints prevented me from going ahead. Mine is a bedroom converted into a dedicated HT room cum workspace (WFH office). Front wall corners already have MOAB on each side, and my single sub is corner loaded at one of the front corner. The work desk / bookshelves take up the other end of the room. As you might imagine, the room is quite well occupied. :sweat_smile:

Ya, can imagine quite occupied :sweat_smile:. Class AB at 200w is not consider high power so still must be careful. Coz i clipped my 300w amp using for center channel. Imagine i cross at 90hz and set to small that time.

Thats why i decided to go the safer way, with 2 subs for mid bass. Place behind the front speakers.

1 Like

Wow, what amp and what center channel was that? How did you know it clipped?

Was it on Interstellar? :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I am using mcintosh mc303 for center and surround. It has a built in protection circuit. When amp too hot, it will cut off that particular channel to protect amp and speaker. Center speaker is jbl 880 array.

I used to watch quite loud in the past. After this, i turned down about 10db. Up to date no issue already.

Btw, not sure if anyone want to try woojer strap edge on ht. It should give u immediate punch on heart as the shaker attach directly to your body.

Dont need to buy the vest edge as more for games. Tested the vest edge once n feeling not bad. However, the vest is too stiff(coz still new) and feel very warm when wearing so i sold it away recently. Strap edge should be better option for ht. Likely need to use minidsp to let it activate from 70 to 125hz only. Coz directly to body means pistol, gunshots feel.

1 Like

Waah!

Woojer strap edge probably can be fun on ht but need a rca to 3.5mm female converter. If want wireless, can buy those Bluetooth transmitter n receiver from aliexpress.

Wow…that’s still quite loud, at least for me.

I won’t even consider this as anything on a body means it is not “natural”, especially watching a movie “sitting” down on your couch or recliner. It will only make you uncomfortable over a 2hr long movie. No thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol, I did strap a aura shaker to pillow in old days to try. And yes, a bit weird.

For games, i feel ok n fun. Probably because i keep moving my body while playing games.

1 Like

it’s like the full tactile body suit in Ready Player One!

Upper body only :sweat_smile:. But the vest is a bit warm n stiff(brand new). Sold it without having a chance to try on a vr game :sweat_smile:.