Building A New Home And A Home Theatre Den

really? y would u stick to cat6 cables unless u r backward in your thinking. go with cat8 lah… advise this n that, but “stick to cat6??” uh?? really?? sometimes, or most of the times, u make no sense at all…

Good reference build with a ton of details.

Note the screen viewing angles. Aim for ~50deg viewing angle in the money seat.

Note the Main LR speaker position angles - 42 deg when mains placed behind screen. Personally, i would aim for 55-60deg which places the LR mains just outside of the screen edges.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/the-beast-unleashed.1498937/

Slightly sidetrack. What are people’s experience with reliability of DC motor fans, other than Haiku. I believe Haiku reliability is very good.

I had very bad experience with my current Samaire fans, where they start slowing down after a year or two, or the remote control no longer works, and i have to get the electronic speed control box replaced.

Hopefully the DC motor fans electronics are more reliable? Now every brand - Fanco, Elmark, KDK all have DC fans… Any experience is much appreciated.

Something like this, remote + the black control box. I changed 4 in my house so far…

I’ve got kdk dc motors and they are ok too
Things do break down eventually so if it’s goes beyond 5-8 years I’m ok.
Spin is another popular brand
Alternatively you can get fanco or crestar at their much lower prices and be prepared to change them more often …
The most reliable I’ve experienced was the old style kdk classroom ceiling fan … simple and quiet too

Yes, my dad’s old national ceiling fans with a chunk of iron transformer wall mounted speed regulators are coming 50 years and still running strong…

Thanks!

I’ve had to replace one 12V power supply in the Haiku stem, but dont buy from BigAss as stupid expensive. I got mine RS electronics I think was about $20 (generic MeanWell power supply part) but its a PITA to take down and fit it.

My 2 Haiku’s are now over 10 years old and still doing OK

Am using Fanco. Its coming to 4 years.
Yes, fan speed slow down. Initially using low and med speed. Now, it is mostly medium and high speed.

Almost certain it is due to usage as only the widely used fans face this. Other rooms still good.

Remote control still going strong but I configure the codes into Broadlink device, as a backup.

I have Haiku in the living room and Decco in all the bedrooms. Nothing will beat Haiku for reliability and noise level. My 1 year + old Decco fans still running strong.

P.S. KDK design does not appeal to me. I bought my Haiku from a reseller and the fan was giving out noise. Big Ass Fan came to fix it and all good. Issue due to installation so I will buy Haiku from Big Ass.

Cat7/8 are shielded and carry grounds to and from equipment - this can allow ground loops and is probably not recommended for Audio equipment networking. Nor is the data rate needed for Audio or HT at this point in time. Cat6 UTP is fine for most home based applications and will remain so for many years.

If I was to be cabling for the future it would be fibre, not wired.

3 Likes

Yeah, the guys from the distro are more pro.
The installer from the Tampines main distro are more pro and this fan does need some expertise in installing to prevent shakes and noise…

The slowing down is because the driver capacitor value is drifting down. There is one big cap outside the motor. Change that to the new one and you’ll get back the speed. My Elmark ceiling fan is at least 15 years old. Motor is still going strong but I replaced remote controller box few times already.

i initially thought it was the capacitor too. And it is impossible to reach without taking down the whole ceiling fan… but then it turned out to just be the remote controller box, which also does the electronic speed control. The main motor fan capacitor is still fine… But yeah it is really annoying to deal with the fans slowing down and keep having to replace the controller box…

Partly because I run a fan shop in my living room… :joy::joy:

I agree with cash, if we are going to do it, go with CAT8 . Or CAT8.2 . No point going for CAT6.

If anyone has any doubts, I confirm CAT8 is the way to go…

We did a blind test in November 2020, blind test testing all the various cables . Nobody knew what cable was tested only me. In that test, 2 participants preferred the supra CAT 8 and another 2 participants including myself, preferred the telegartner CAT8

Here is a quick view on that record for blind test

The other participant who liked the supra CAT8 was my Mrs. She knows nothing about cables. But boy they could all tell the difference instantly

Blind test is the way to go for testing cables, if one can tell clearly everytime that cable goes in, then it is effective

Very strange is 1 & 0 also makes a difference with Ethernet cable.

The best part is I intentionally slot back the same cable , just to make sure the mind is not playing any tricks… everytime I slot it back, it tallies to what the listeners were listening

So these cables, are very subjective , 2 preferred supra, 2 preferred telegartner. But one thing in common, they were both CAT8 cables

Thanks for chipping in Bryan
There are two aspects here
Speed caps and sound quality vs costs
So if one is looking for higher speeds, you will need to balance the potential increase in speed vs the incremental costs
There are many bottlenecks like the website sites, Wifi quality etc which can play their role

As for sound quality, like power cables, I do believe they do play a positive role

Then one has to balance the costs

For the homes being built, you’ll need a few hundred meters of these cables …

At current prices for the higher end cables, that’s a cost to take into account.

So if cost isn’t an issue then buy the best you can :+1:

1 Like

Perfectly valid points. $$ is always a factor

Maybe only the last mile is what matters ? The one connecting from fiber modem to router, router to switch. Give take maybe about 1m apart maximum from each device

Personally I don’t use all CAT8 cables. Mine is all CAT6 from computer and rooms into the switch.

But for audio stuff, I tend to keep them close, at the location nearest HT gear . So I could go with the newer CAT8 1m version that seems to be superior in audio quality . For day to day work stuff, don’t really care, as long as the data transmits well I’m ok

A budget approach would then probably see a mixture of existing CAT6,7 cables with the CAT8 preferred cable purely for streaming high quality video and audio … hybrid approach

Save $$

Ideally I’ll for for cat 7 all round and better power cables too.
I paid $5000 for one thick solid copper cable from my front gate to my DB.
Everything being equal, I would have gone for think solid copper all round … but $$$ :sweat_smile:

:scream::scream: power la bro! Solid thick copper :muscle:t2:

Ya man, the cost goes up exponentially when we have to account for distance

Last I read rhodium prices has gone up significantly too

Construction costs have also gone up by at least 20%
And now you have to bear the costs of the fortnight covid swabs… $$