AVDisco Demo Disc Vol 1 (Offline)

It’s been a while since my last demo disc (XP Demo Disc 8). I decided to work on a new one. Due to release sometime next week. Here’s a prelude to the splash page of the bluray menu. I’m using a different authoring s/w this time, hence it looks a bit different.

Last Update (1 Jan 23) - All links closed.

7 Likes

wow! thanks for volunteering and spending time to provide this for the community bro.

Power!

1 Like

HOUSE RULES

Downloading and Sharing
As always, this demo sampler is strictly for evaluation purpose only. It is NOT FOR SALE. After the betrayal from members in the old forum, I WILL NOT be making this “as open” as it used to be. Only registered members will see the download link. I am considering to allow members to do BT sharing/seeding. Content of the ISO img will be password-protected. Request for password will be given via the DM route in this forum and no proxy.

Constraints faced
The previous authoring s/w is no longer in development by the creator as such I am unable to author newer clips (these days all in 4K rips) with HEVC 2.65 code. Hence I will need to use another authoring s/w. It has some quirks but for the most part, it is acceptable and worked reasonably well in my book.

Quality vs Quantity
In order to squeeze in as much content into the demo as possible, I have opted to down-convert ALL the clips from its original resolution (4K) and stripped its metadata (HDR, HDR10+ & DV) and convert the gamut space from BT2020 to BT709. This manner, it enable me to put in > 20 titles into the demo as opposed to 8 - 10 titles if I retain its original 4K resolution. Rest assured, one thing I will never skim on is the lossless audio. So yes, 90% of the demo titles will have full Dolby Atmos while the remaining titles will come with DTS-HD MSTR or DD+.

More than 20 titles for demo
I will be revealing the titles that come with this “maiden” version (opted to use AVDisco Demo Sampler as opposed to XP Demo Disc) soon. Some of the titles you will be familiar with. It will comprised of a broad range of materials dated all the way back to 2000 to the more recent ones. I am considering ripping Top Gun Maverick last airspace invasion into the hostile territory but it is way too big a file size since most of my rips these days are 4K with HDR/DV. I will probably skip this one out unless you guys really want it.

Member contributions?
I am also accepting rips from members here. Members like Bryan (aka ronniloq) and Winthur can also send me your clip (in 1080p or 4K) and I will re-encode it into 1080p and BT709 to save space.

1 Like

I have finished compiling the clips. The total disc size is about 40GB. If you need to burn into a disc, you will need a BD-DL (Dual-layered) 50GB capacity disc media. Here’s the screenshot of the titles that will make it to this upcoming demo sampler.

Updated (14 Dec) - Added 4 more titles (courtesy from bro @Wind’s own collection):

1. Top Gun Maverick
  2. Bumblebee
  3. John Williams Live in Viena - Jurassic Park Theme
  4. The Invisible Man
1 Like

Do let me know how I can send them to you. I’ll be glad to contribute those that I think they are good in my best opinion. I can send links for download as well

1 Like

Oh I just tried black Adams and Maverick last evening. Will DM you the link by today

1 Like

hi Des great job and thanks for the effort to create this. just wondering if its a img file why be limited to disc size so more goodies can be included and original vq can be retained so it can be used to showcase both A&V qualities… anyway i look forward to this!

1 Like

@desray DMed you.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments. The reason for limiting the capacity is for the benefit of those who may wish to burn it to a normal BD-DL media disc widely available in the market. I will probably add on the titles provided by Wind in this release as well.

1 Like

Once I have finalised the content, I will dedicated one day to review the disc content by playing it on a bluray player and a media payer that support BD ISO (e.g Zidoo) to ensure there is no encoding error that could potentially becomes a showstopper…

If all good, I will release the ISO for download. I will probably need help from Bro wind and those who can open up their NAS to share with members. This way, there will be more avenues to download.

1 Like

Brothers helping with the hosting include:

1. @durian
  2. @Wind

Anyone offering to help with the hosting can drop me a DM. You will be given priority access to download the ISO when it’s ready.

1 Like

Nice to have a piece of AVdiscourse First edition . Can use for next ISSE show 2023. .

3 Likes

Added 4 more titles (courtesy from bro @Wind’s own collection):

1. Top Gun Maverick
  2. Bumblebee
  3. John Williams Live in Viena - Jurassic Park Theme
  4. The Invisible Man

Click here to see updated menu

2 Likes

I have finished compiling and reviewing the content. Here’s a quick overview of the sampler itself.

I am using an external storage device attached to an Oppo UDP-203 player to playback the BD ISO image. I’m using my projector. Pardon the noisy video footage as I’m using a Surface Duo 2 built-in camera which is not the best camera system. If all goes well, I will put up the ISO file on my NAS by tmr evening or Sat.

4 Likes

Bro @durian and @wind, I have just sent you the instruction to download the content via DM. Pls check and let me know if you encounter any issue with the login etc.

To all members, if everything goes as planned, the download links will be active this weekend.

4 Likes

noted

Guys, I just discovered that the aspect ratio of Bloodshot is wrongly encoded. It was supposed to be 2.39:1 but encoded in 16:9 which makes the picture look “squishy”. I’ll be re-encoding this particular clip and will upload it soon. I don’t foresee it will derail the original timeline for members to download the content this weekend.

2 Likes

Thanks to bro @durian who pointed out to me that there were more clips (roughly 7 titles), besides Bloodshot that required re-encoding due to the wrong aspect ratio. He missed out on the MiB International. Anyway, the good news is I have finished re-encoding those titles and will be re-uploading to my server for @durian and @wind to d/l and do a test run to ensure the copies downloaded by them are not corrupted.

1 Like

Looking forward to it!