All Lyngdorf Related

:scream::scream::scream::scream:ā€¦. U lao Jiaoā€¦.

Bass is a very complex topic, but it gets easier over the years as you experiment and make progress

I always advocate the use of one sub in front and one back corner, diagonally placed. In my opinion, they always work especially in a rectangular roomā€¦

Think of it this way. When you place your subwoofers at the corners, u get a room gain. Place it at middle of the room, that gain is gone.

Now think again, when the subwoofers are in phase, you get an increased gain, a summation. When the subs are out of phased, the subs donā€™t sum to give u the increased gain.

This concept is very easy to understand actually, place the subwoofers where you get maximum room gain, thatā€™s what we want !

Where might that be one will ask? It is none other than corners of the room. Or any boundary or trihedral section where pressure is high. Not velocity

Some may have difficulty with sub placement because of the room layout, corners having doors, blocking etc. Some may have difficulty with MLP, it has to be at ā€œxā€ location so on . But that is ok, just move the subs to 1/4, 1/5th location, that works. Try and get it as close to any boundary possible, that is the ultimate goalā€¦.

Once u get the subs to supplement each other, in phase, then we need to work on timing aspect. Once we fix the time aspect, then we enter nirvana stageā€¦.

Hahaha,ā€¦ unfortunately itā€™s difficult to teach old dog new tricks :sweat_smile: :grin:

I would love to put more subs but space is a premium in a 3x4 sqm room.
Especially when I have ā€œgiantā€ components upfront alreadyā€¦
I am begining to rethink my strategyā€¦ I had hope of moving to a bigger and better residence thus I bought those earlier on with such hopes that never materializedā€¦ thus I am ā€œstuckā€ with them in small roomā€¦

yes, the concept of standing waves are easy enough, I recall something similar in my engineering days in NTU lecturesā€¦ pity I did not pay too much attention then, not that it would help anyway.

I recall you mention that you are a ā€œpuristā€ - I tend to have that approach as well in my hifi-AV journey, thus Iā€™ve been avoiding interventing or modification of the signal chain (ie PEQ as such) and focus most of my efforts in getting the right speaker positioning, better and neutral sounding components and later part room treatments. I have the classic old school, full separates components of transport, dac, pre, processor, mono power (stereo; multi for surrounds)ā€¦ Alas, the one area that is most difficult to tame is the low end especially given a small room.

I has another setup at my parentā€™s place in Penang with a much bigger room - 4.5x6m, the freedom to move speaker much further away from the walls results in superior sound field. Quite an expensive move to maintain a secondary setup that I only use 2-3x a year when on vacation :slight_smile:

Last few days Iā€™ve installed ROON to trial its DSP featuresā€¦ quite an interesting piece of software, a very expensive one just to achieve a functional and user friendly workflowā€¦ Pity it does not support AppleMusic and Spotify,ā€¦ if it does, I would hope on without 2nd thought. Maybe they will build these in since the lossless functionalities has been released. I get why it currently only focused on Tidal and Qubuz as it target audience are after high-end sound reproduction.

If I do go into Lyngdorf, the model I would go after is MP40;
I do not see myself needing the 16ch on MP60ā€¦ though the HDMI 2.1 would have been more future proof. Then again, there is always a limit to the price willing to payā€¦ you are right about it been quite highly marked upā€¦ I would pay up to 10k but moreā€¦ thatā€™s really a hard pill to swallow :sweat_smile:

1 Like

MP40 is good enough, Iā€™d be satisfied with the MP40 as well. Donā€™t need so many hdmi ports. Even then Mp 40 is still not cheapā€¦

But I canā€™t live without room perfect now. Itā€™s very hard to replicate that experience

The good thing about lyngdorf is there is constant updates and improvements to the algorithm of room eq and itā€™s function. So far the firmware is stable, dtsX Atmos all plays nicely. There is also this centre channel spread option

Options for amplifier latency, distance settings , built in eq with custom target curve options etc

However, if there is one thing I would wish lyngdorf pay attention to, is the quality of the DAC. I think this area can still be improved

Do you know who is the authorized retailer/distributor here?
The Showroom demo setup any good? :stuck_out_tongue:
If not for the lockdown, wouldntā€™t mind checking out your too (if not too imposing that is)
:wink:

The authorised dealer for lyngdorf in Singapore is OHM Sound, Mr Amos. I bought my unit from him.

Honestly I havenā€™t been to his showroom, been wanting to but never had the chance

I got the unit after demoing it at another senior memberā€™s place SDDS. He had many different processors etc. Among the lot, I loved what I heard at his place , thatā€™s why I went for it

Ya I can definitely host you once the situation in Singapore improves, no problem. We can catch up again.

The system is actually ready, both for video and sound. Basically Iā€™m quite happy with the set up now, be it for movies, video, sound, stereo all ok.

Catch up again

Info

HOW HIGH SHOULD THE ROOM KNOWLEDGE % BE?
During the RoomPerfectā„¢ process the room knowledge % indicates the level of new information over the last measurement. RoomPerfectā„¢ allows to end the process just over 90%. At this level RoomPerfectā„¢ already knows enough of your room, and the sound performance will be improved significantly. In most rooms, around 95% is a very good result. Above this number it becomes increasingly harder to gain useful room information and find new random microphone positions. When trying to reach 100% the risk is that too specific, non-random microphone placements will be chosen. The result will be more biased, and the sound performance may not improve.

This is from the new Support section on our website ā€“ check it out for more FAQ: Lyngdorf support - Lyngdorf Audio

Yesterday I had a quick downgrade to the firmware 4.1, instead of 4.2.1 on the mp50

Problem was this.

ATV4K Gen 2, Atmos and DD+ not workingā€¦buzzing sound

However Dd+ and Atmos was working fine on Xbox series x

So naturally one would guess itā€™s to do with the ATV4K firmware. But bro DJ confirmed it was working on his ATV4K previously until the recent upgrade.

So I reloaded the OLD firmware and voila , both ATV4K and Xbox was working well.

Turns out on Xbox

It was doing HBR Bitstreamā€¦ whereas on ATV4K below , it was doing PCM. Audio processed by ATV4K instead, unlike Xbox where the processor was processing the audio

As you can observe under TX0, I have input 0 as ATV4K and input 3 as Xbox, so itā€™s very easy to toggle back and forth between the two.

Playing the same Netflix content, I can confirm by switching back and forth

1. Audio is superior in quality on the Xbox series X. I was struggling to hear any details on ATV4K. Bass was also subdued, hardly any bass , no feeling. Xbox very Tok gong , miles apart in audio quality

2. Video is also superior on the Xbox. Instantly we can tell the graphics and black levels are so much nicer on the Xbox. Despite using a lower quality 4:2:0 chroma 24fps 10bit option on the Xbox, it still triump the ATV4K

3. Switching the EDID to 10 on the vertex2 (rec2020 LLDV), I could see instantly the quality from 4:2:0 10bit 371mhz vs 4:2:2 12bit 593mhz . Everything was better from colours, contrast to specular highlights. It was no contest. This is only noticeable when doing a comparison AB switching back and forth. If u are just playing it back with the original 4:2:0 10bit 371mhz signal, you wonā€™t be able to discern the difference

Spatial with Lyngdorf

New updates

SW 4.2.3 October 2021

• Preparation for future software update handling

Looks like some changes in how firmwares are getting updates in the future

Still doesnā€™t fix the issues of ATV4K where Atmos signal is processed as source and sent as PCM to the processor, still getting errors there with software 4.2 and above

Bro, u confirm dolby Atmos from ATV 4K is output as MPCM? if this is the case, then indeed it is a bugā€¦ But if not, it is not a bug if a normal DD 5.1 track is sent to the Amp or AVR as MPCM as Apple chose to let ATV 4K do a the decoding on board. This is a characteristics of ATV4K.

Ya thatā€™s the problemā€¦

See on Xbox it is HBR Bitstream

No issues with Atmos or dd+ streaming

On ATV4K

Problem with firmware 4.2 and above, Atmos doesnā€™t play

LPCMā€¦ so some issues with this processor it is having a bzzzzzzz sound

The older firmware is ok, if using 4.1 no issues ā€¦ so the lyngdorf users might want to stick to firmware version 4.1 if having an ATV4K

Good thing with this processor is u can downgrade or upgrade firmware anytime, no such thing as cannot roll back to previous firmwareā€¦

I tried 4.1 it works, thatā€™s how I came to know itā€™s a lyngdorf issue and not the ATV4K problem

Since Iā€™m using Xbox for streaming all video, I went ahead with the firmware upgrade. V4.2 has improvement in room perfect algorithm

That also confirms one more thing, the sound quality is better when the source bitstreams and letā€™s the processor do the decodingā€¦ instead of the source player doing the decoding

That was the reason why most of the guys were saying ATV4K sounds sucksā€¦I only found out recently few months back when I got the version 2 of the ATV4K

Still keeping it mainly cos the Mrs prefer to use it, easy to air play, VIU apps, meWATCH etc most apps are there that is not available on Xbox ā€¦ so quite convenient and itā€™s fast and stable ā€¦

I seeā€¦letā€™s hope Lyngdorf support team will quickly address this annoying bug soon.

LoLā€¦I didnā€™t know you are not aware of that. It is a known fact by most ATV 4K users. Hence some prefer NVidia Shield TV 4K because of this rather ā€œweirdā€ choice by Apple.

Ya I just found out like few months back only, after getting the ATV4Kā€¦ earlier, other members shared. Wondering why ATV4K sound quality is like thatā€¦ later I found out when I had a look at vertex2 to see the incoming signalā€¦ then I realised itā€™s not bitstream ā€¦ lol

The Steinway lyngdorf line source looks gorgeous

Stackable in modules ā€”> https://steinwaylyngdorf.com/steinway-sons-ls-lr/

Using AMTs and 5ā€ SEAS drivers

There is also the custom install series , check out the video below, the budget version for Home theatreā€¦ they are not the same quality, but decent , price is so much more affordable on the lyngdorf models LS1000

The guy in the video used to work for Dynaudio

With these type of line source speakers, we will need distance from speakers to MLP, there will be rather equal distribution of energy across various listening positions within the room, the benefits of line source speaker

Unfortunately, you donā€™t get the ribbon tweeters which I feel is key to the sound signature of the Lyndorf.

1 Like

Yea I concur! Thatā€™s so important for me as well

Having a TDAI 3400 for home trial during CNY. Super impressed with RoomPerfect. With that and Voicing options, I am now able to listen to.most, if not all, my music from Tidal

It practically removed digitalization ā€œgritā€ but yet make it nicely musically balanced.

Very very tempted to buy it.